The small city of Covington, IN, is home to about 2,600 people. This city offers all the benefits of small town living, with all the amenities of Indianapolis within easy reach by car. If you own a house in Covington, a solid homeowners insurance policy can protect the investment you have made in it.
When you are shopping for homeowners insurance, a local independent agent can help. These agents can offer trustworthy guidance and advice and can shop around to find you suitable coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Covington, IN?
Home insurance rates in the state of Indiana are lower than the national average. This is great news if you are a resident of Covington who is looking for an affordable home insurance policy.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Indiana average yearly premium: $1,000
Your actual home insurance quotes are likely to differ a bit from the average rate listed above. This is because prices are calculated on a case-by-case basis. They are influenced by several factors, such as the following.
- Your home’s value, age, and square footage
- The type of house you are insuring (e.g., single family detached, mobile home, tiny home, rental property, vacation home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks where your home is located
- The size of your deductible
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your home insurance with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
When you review a variety of homeowners insurance quotes, you can be sure that the policy you choose is offered at a great price. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Covington?
Disasters in Indiana can result in every expensive property damage. Let’s look at some statistics.
- Number of federally declared disasters in Indiana: 51
- Most common cause of disasters in this state: Severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Indiana: 22
- Homeowners insurance claims paid out in IN in 2019: $1,003,810,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover against most of the risks you are likely to face as a property owner in Covington. The following are some of the hazards that may cause property damage in this city.
- Accidental fires
- Property crimes, including burglary, vandalism, and arson
- Storms, including electrical storms, windstorms, and derechos
- Harsh winter weather, including heavy snows, freezing temperatures, and ice accumulation
Fortunately, each of these risks is covered by most standard homeowners insurance policies.
A Word about Flood Damage in Covington, IN
It is important that homeowners in Covington are aware that flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance. Fortunately, you can supplement your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
If your house is in a designated flood zone, you will be required by your lender to carry flood insurance until your mortgage and/or any home equity loans are paid in full. Otherwise, this coverage is optional.
Bear in mind that if your house is not in a flood zone, that does not mean that it cannot be impacted by flash flooding. Around 20 percent of all flood claims filed are for properties that are located outside of designated flood zones.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), just one inch of floodwater in your home can cause as much as $25,000 in property damage. That is why purchasing a flood insurance policy can prove extremely beneficial.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is Loss of Use Coverage?
Tornado activity in the Covington area is 83% greater than the national rate. If a major disaster like a fire or a tornado destroys your house or renders it uninhabitable until repairs are made, you will be left temporarily homeless.
Fortunately, loss of use insurance, which is a standard part of every homeowners insurance policy, can cover your temporary living expenses.
Loss of use insurance can pay for a hotel or a temporary rental home. It can also provide you with a meal allowance if your accommodations do not include a kitchen. In some cases, it will even cover your additional mileage if you must drive further to get to and from work.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Covington Homeowners?
Homeowners insurance also provides you with a significant amount of personal liability protection. This can be very beneficial if you or someone in your household accidentally causes injuries, property damage, or financial losses to others.
If you are sued for a covered event, your homeowners liability insurance can pay your court costs, legal fees, settlements, judgements, and other associated expenses.
Examples of times when where your insurance can help include the following situations.
- If a visitor is seriously injured in an accident on your property
- If your child hits a baseball through your neighbor’s picture window while playing in your backyard
- If you accidentally strike someone with a golf club while hitting the links at the Rivercrest Golf Club
- If your dog gets loose and bites someone
- If you are accused of libel or slander
Most home insurance policies offer between $100,000 and $300,000 in personal liability protection. If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, umbrella insurance policy is an affordable way to boost all your liability coverage.
Does Covington Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
Few things are more stressful than having your privacy invaded and your belongings stolen in a burglary. Fortunately, your homeowners insurance can provide a bit a relief by covering your losses and property damage.
If your house is broken into, the first thing you should do is make sure that you and your loved ones are safe. Then you should immediately notify the authorities. You will need to have a copy of the police report when you file an insurance claim.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Covington, IN?
Independent agents in the Covington area are free to work with several different insurance companies. This means they can shop around to help you find the coverage you need at the lowest available price.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you to discover how easy it can be to find the best and most affordable car insurance policy.