A suburb of Detroit, Chesterfield Township is home to more than 43,000 people. This township, with its nine unincorporated communities, offers something for everyone. If you are among the proud property owners in this Michigan city, you can benefit from having a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Chesterfield Township home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized quotes from a variety of highly rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Chesterfield Township, MI?
The good news for those looking for home insurance coverage in Chesterfield Township is that the average cost for coverage in this state is lower than the average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Michigan average yearly premium: $908
Of course, rates can vary significantly from this average. Actual home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of different factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, condominium, manufactured home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether or not it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers you the best coverage at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Chesterfield Township make comparison shopping easy.
Does Chesterfield Township Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Chesterfield Township. You will want to be sure that your dwelling and contents coverage limits are high enough to enable you to rebuild and replace in the event of a disaster.
Catastrophic Events in Michigan
- Number of federally declared disasters in Michigan: 41
- Most common causes of MI disasters: Floods and severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Michigan: 14.7
- Average amount of property damage per year in MI: $1.16 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Tornado activity in Chesterfield is lower than the national rate but it still poses a risk. Many long-time residents of this township still remember the devastation caused by the tornado that touched down here in 1964.
Fortunately, all of the above mentioned risks are covered by most homeowners insurance policies. Flood damage, on the other hand, is not.
What about Coverage against Floods in Chesterfield Township?
Floods pose a threat in this township, especially for those who own property near waterways like the Salt River or by any of the drainage that run through canals in this city. When prolonged, heavy rains fall, water levels can quickly rise and lead to flash flooding throughout the area.
Flood damage can be especially expensive. According to FEMA estimates, just one inch of rainwater in your home can result in as much as $25,000 in damages. Because homeowners insurance does not cover against this risk, you may be wondering what to do.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Flood insurance backed by the federal government can provide homeowners with up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage. A policy through a private company may be able to offer more coverage, but will likely cost a lot more.
Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase a policy.
Why Do Chesterfield Township Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits can happen to anyone, and they can be very expensive. Large financial losses could potentially cause you to lose your home. That is why all home insurance policies include liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses that you may accrue if you are responsible for damage related to a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor in your home trips on loose carpeting on your stairway and suffers a serious back injury.
- You accidentally injure someone during a friendly game of tag football at Brandenburg Park.
- Your child breaks your neighbor’s picture window while playing ball your backyard.
- Your dog manages to get loose and bites a jogger.
- A local business sues you for libel because of a negative review you posted on social media.
If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance provider will allow, your agent can also help you obtain a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage.
Does Chesterfield Township Homeowners Insurance Cover Against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Michigan is lower than the national average, and in Chesterfield Township, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this township report about 100 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Michigan: 3.99
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Chesterfield Township: 1.37
It can be very stressful to be the victim of a property crime. However, you may take some comfort in knowing if your house is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the loss of your belongings and any resultant property damage.
You can lower your risk of being targeted by thieves by taking precautionary steps such as ensuring that all doors and windows are securely locked, keeping entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and putting lights on timers while you are away.
The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm. That’s why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
Maybe you have a vacation house that you use in the summers. Or perhaps you own a property nearby that you rent out to others. Regardless, If you are among the Chesterfield Township residents who own more than one home, you will need to cover each of your properties with an appropriate home insurance policy.
Houses that do not serve as your primary residence often have additional risks that insurance companies will take into consideration. This means that specialized insurance products may be necessary. For example:
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability and property damage risks. These houses require the specialized coverage offered by landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for long periods throughout the year have an increased risk of break-ins and property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is not in use.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your residential properties and can assist you with finding the best and most affordable policies to insure each of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Chesterfield Township, MI?
The easiest way to find a great homeowners policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Chesterfield Township home.
Independent agents in Chesterfield Township are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.