The most populated city in New Jersey and the second most diverse, Newark is one of the main air, shipping and rail hubs in the U.S. Branch Brook Park in the city is the nation’s oldest county park and holds the largest collection of cherry blossom trees, some 4300 in number. Like many cities, Newark has its seamier side, so make sure you're properly insured. A local independent insurance agent can get you quotes on Newark, NJ home insurance from multiple insurance companies.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in New Jersey
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- New Jersey yearly premium average: $981
- 21st most expensive premium in the US
Home insurance can be a detailed, complex and constantly changing subject. Certain facts determine the type and cost of coverage available, such as where in the city you live, the type and value of your house and the types of risk and coverage you want.
Basic Newark Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Standard policies include common coverage types such as these:
- Building property coverage: Pays to repair the structure of your home and other structures like garages and fences after a disaster
- Home contents coverage: Pays to replace your stolen or damaged clothes, furniture and electronics
- Liability insurance: Pays medical expenses and court costs for bodily injury and property damage claims if you are at fault or someone sues you due to injury or property damage while they are on your premises
- Relocation assistance or “loss of use”: Provides temporary lodging if the home is rendered uninhabitable because of a covered incident
You want to make sure you have at least this basic coverage. Your agent can also help you review and select additional insurance coverage for even better protection.
Number of Catastrophes in New Jersey and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in New Jersey: 60
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in New Jersey: 0
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in New Jersey: $13,780,000
Many people don’t know that most policies don’t cover certain events such as floods or earthquakes. If you want to make sure you have protection against these events, ask your agent to get you Newark home insurance quotes with these types of risk included.
Number of Thefts in New Jersey
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- New Jersey number of burglaries: 35,873
Theft and vandalism could result in damage to your house and personal property. Insurers encourage customers to purchase burglar alarm systems in order to protect their home and contents because they tend to reduce insurance claims and may even earn a home policy discount.
Trust Your Choice
Reliable, independent insurance agents from our network are a great option to help you choose homeowners insurance. These agents have local knowledge, and insurance is their daily business. They can get you competitive quotes and advise you on special situations like second or vacation homes, or homes you rent out. They can also advise you on all the little items, details, extras and exclusions that you might not be able to spot yourself.
So, make sure you get the Newark home insurance that you need. Contact a local agent today.