Hempstead, NY is known as the hub of Nassau County. Home to commercial industries, Hempstead is a growing and dynamic city.
If you own a home in this town of 55,806 residents, proper protection is needed. Your local independent insurance agent can help find coverage for a fair price. Connect with an expert today and start saving.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Hempstead, NY?
A variety of risk factors determines the cost of homeowners insurance. The carriers will use your individualized data to figure your coverage pricing. Let's look at average homeowners insurance premiums:
- National annual average: $1,211
- New York annual average: $1,309
Your rates can be above or below the state and national averages, depending on your specifications. Similar to life insurance, your homeowners coverage is personalized. Carriers look at the following criteria:
- Your home's replacement cost
- The local crime rates
- Your credit score
- Your loss history
- Your address
- Your insurance score
Discuss how your personal information affects your home policy with your Hempstead agent.
Hempstead's Crime Rate and Your Homeowners Insurance
The more crime in Hempstead, the higher your insurance costs will be. Crime-related losses in an area are taken into account when carriers determine premiums. Take a look at the burglaries per 100,000 households:
- National average: 376.00
- New York average: 159.30
- Hempstead average: 189.10
Hempstead has a relatively low burglary rate. This could mean your premiums will be less expensive, but it also depends on your other criteria. If you are looking to offset costs, ask your agent about bundling your home and auto insurance. When you have all your policies with one carrier, you qualify for a big multi-policy discount.
How to Stay Protected against Catastrophic Events in Hempstead, NY
Catastrophes and natural disasters can cause a lot of damage. When you're the victim of a severe storm, you'll want a home policy that responds. It's vital to know what the most common occurrences are in Hempstead so you can better protect your home from them.
Catastrophic Events That Occur the Most in Hempstead, NY:
- Hurricanes - With Hempstead being close to a large body of water, hurricanes and tropical storms are expected. Your homeowners policy will have coverage for damage resulting from a hurricane, excluding flooding.
- Severe storms - Storms are a common occurrence for most homeowners. Damage is typically insured under your primary home policy.
- Floods - Flooding is the third most common property exposure in Hempstead. Flood insurance is a separate policy from your primary homeowners insurance.
Flood Insurance Explained:
The majority of homeowners are not aware that their home policy excludes flood damage. When you own a home in Hempstead, you have a greater chance of a flood occurring.
Every location has a flood zone assigned, which will let you know the risk of your home flooding. While some zones have a greater chance than others, every property can flood at any time. Get with your local agent to discuss your home's flood policy.
Airbnb Coverage in Hempstead, NY
When you own an Airbnb property, insurance can be tricky. Since tenants will be short-term, the carriers take on more risk than for a primary homeowners policy.
Your Hempstead independent agent can help you get landlord insurance that will provide adequate coverage. When dealing with a third party, you'll want a policy to protect your interests, vacancies, and tenant losses.
A local agent can run quotes with multiple carriers that allow coverage for your second largest asset.
Types of Liability Insurance in Hempstead, NY
Lenders require liability insurance to cover their interests as well as yours. Fortunately, most home policies have liability as their primary coverage. First, you should understand what options you have.
Liability Coverage Explained:
- Homeowners liability insurance - This coverage protects against lawsuits that occur when a household member or pet harms another person or their property.
- Umbrella insurance - An umbrella insurance policy will supply a limit of liability over your underlying home and auto policies. Once a more extensive claim exhausts your primary insurance, this coverage will apply.
Go over these liability options with your Hempstead independent agent and get the coverage you need.
Match with a Local Independent Agent Hempstead, NY
When you're searching for a homeowners policy, you'll want the help of a trusted adviser. A Hempstead, NY independent insurance agent can find the coverage and rate to fit your budget.
They work with several carriers, which gives you a home policy at a price you can handle. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.