New York Motorcycle Insurance
Experts break down motorcycle insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more.
Whether you use your motorcycle to zip around through New York City or to enjoy scenic rides on the Adirondack Lake Loop, the Empire State is a great place to own a bike. That may explain why there are nearly 400,000 motorcycles registered in this state.
You cannot legally take your bike out on the road until you have purchased motorcycle insurance. Local independent agents can help you find a good policy. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in New York.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in New York?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in New York State is $969 a year.
Of course, an average rate can only give you a ballpark idea of what you might be expected to pay. Here are some things that can influence how much your policy will cost:
- The make, model, year, and value of the motorcycle(s) you are insuring
- Any upgrades or accessories you have added to your motorcycle
- Your age, years of riding experience, and traffic citation history
- The estimated number of miles you ride your bike each year
- The size of your deductible
By contacting a few competing insurance providers to request customized quotes, you can be sure that the policy you ultimately choose is offered at a reasonable price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in New York?
As with car insurance, motorcycle insurance is required in New York State. So is the use of protective eyewear and wearing a helmet that meets US DOT and Consumer Product Safety Commission Standards.
Unlike with car insurance, you are not required to keep your insurance active during the times of year that you are not using your motorcycle. This means that if you want to put your bike in storage for the winter, you can cancel your insurance until you are ready to take it out again in the spring.
What Coverage Do Motorcycle Insurance Policies in New York State Need to Include?
In this state, motorcyclists are required to carry liability insurance only. New York is a no-fault state, but motorcyclists are not included in no-fault coverage. This means you do not need to carry uninsured motorist insurance and do not qualify for personal injury protection insurance like you do with car insurance.
Motorcycle liability insurance is designed to cover any property damage or injuries you may cause to others if you are at fault for an accident while riding. Your policy must meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $25,000
- Bodily injury liability coverage per accident: $50,000
- $50,000 for the death of a single person
- $100,000 for the death of two or more people
- Property damage liability coverage per incident: $10,000
Any other coverage you might want for your motorcycle is optional.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Can New York Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, most insurance companies will offer a number of coverage options which can include the following:
- Collision and comprehensive coverage: These products cover physical damage to your bike. Both are typically required by your lender if you are still paying for your motorcycle.
- Collision coverage: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is damaged in a non-collision event like a flood or a windstorm.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage: This can increase the assessed value of your motorcycle if you have upgraded it with customized accessories or equipment. That way, if your bike is totaled in a covered event, you can be compensated for the extra money you have put into it.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This can cover your injuries and property damage if you are struck by an uninsured driver while riding your motorcycle.
- Medical payments coverage (Med Pay): This can contribute to the cost of medical bills, dental bills, and funeral expenses if you or your passenger are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. This insurance frequently caps out at $5,000 or $10,000 per person.
- Towing and roadside assistance coverage: This can cover the cost of assistance if your motorcycle becomes inoperable while you are out on the road.
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what your bike is worth and what you still owe for it if it is totaled in a covered event. This coverage is often advisable during the first year or two of new bike ownership when the value of your motorcycle depreciates fastest.
Be sure to review the details and costs of each of your various options. That way, you can make an informed decision about which choices are a good fit for you.
Do I Qualify for Any Motorcycle Insurance Discounts?
Many motorcycle insurance providers in New York offer motorcycle insurance discounts and incentives to their policyholders who qualify. You may be able to earn rate reductions by:
- Completing an approved motorcycle safety course
- Having a membership in a riding association
- Being a homeowner
- Having a motorcycle that includes a factory-installed anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Equipping your bike with a professionally installed radio or GPS theft recovery system
- Paying your annual premium in full
- Bundling your motorcycle insurance with other policies like car insurance, home insurance, or renters insurance
A good insurance agent who has your best interests at heart will ensure that you are receiving any discounts for which you qualify.
How Can an Independent Agent Help Me Find the Best Motorcycle Insurance in New York?
Local independent agents can be very helpful when you are shopping for any kind of insurance product. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurer, so they can obtain customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in New York.
When you are ready to start comparison shopping to find a reliable, yet affordable, motorcycle insurance policy, you can arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.