New York, which is also nicknamed the “Empire State,” has many activity centers for residents. Buffalo is home to the stately and renowned Frank Lloyd Wright’s Darwin D. Martin Home Complex, which began construction in 1903. Albany is host not only to the state capital, but also to the New York State Museum and the illustrious 18th century Historic Cherry Hall. Racing enthusiasts can enjoy the thoroughbreds at the Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, while baseball fans can revel in the feats of their favorite players at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. A great way to get to all of these attractions, especially in the warm summer months, is on a motorcycle.
Riding a motorcycle is a fun pastime, though there is some risks motorcyclists face. Whether you own a road bike, sport bike, or hit the trails on a dirt bike, you can easily find New York motorcycle insurance by contacting a local member agent in the Trusted Choice® network. These independent agents can provide you with New York motorcycle insurance quotes so you can find the best coverage at affordable rates. Find an agent in your area today to get started.
New York Motorcycle Accident Statistics
While motorcycle riders cruise the highways as well as trails, the fact is that there are only two wheels touching the ground, and there is no encasing structure for the driver, as there would be in a car or truck. Because motorcyclists are relatively exposed in an accident, the risk of injury is high.
- In one year there were approximately 5,336 crashes involving motorcycles
- About 4,550 of these caused non-fatal personal injuries
- There were 618 crashes which involved property damage
What Kind of Motorcycle Insurance Is Available in New York?
The minimum form of insurance required by law in New York for motorcyclists is liability coverage. New York is a no-fault state and has established levels of coverage for injury, death, and for property damage. Liability insurance covers major costs for accidents, injuries, and property damage you're legally responsible for, up to the specified limits on your policy.
You can also buy additional forms of New York motorcycle insurance, which provide coverage for the following:
- Collision: Covers you for the repairs to your motorcycle or full replacement regardless if you or another individual caused the damage
- Comprehensive: Covers your motorcycle for specific perils other than collision, such as theft or vandalism
- Medical payments or personal injury: Covers you for medical expenses or burial costs if you or a passenger are injured or killed while operating your motorcycle
- Uninsured / underinsured motorist: Covers you for injuries or motorcycle damage caused by others who have too little or no insurance coverage
- Accessories: Covers you if you made any upgrades or customized your motorcycle after purchase
How Expensive Is Motorcyclist Insurance?
Premiums for New York motorcycle insurance vary widely based on a number of factors unique to each insured party. Some of the factors used by an insurer that determine the cost of a policy include:
- Age of the driver
- Driving record of the driver
- The amounts of coverage or type of policy
- The year, make, and model of the motorcycle
- The engine horsepower of the the motorcycle
- The amount of deductible
- The frequency of use and type of riding such as recreational, personal transportation, or racing
- The manner in of storage
- Any customization you added to your motorcycle after purchase
Can I Get Discounts for My Motorcycle Insurance Policy?
You can lower the cost of insurance with discounts. Your Trusted Choice member agent can help locate discounts that apply to you. Some of the ways you can reduce your New York motorcycle insurance premiums include:
- Bundling your motorcycle insurance policy with other policies you have with the same company
- Buy policies that apply to specific months only, such as during the summer; remember that your bike still has some risk while in storage and comprehensive coverage may be a good way to prevent loss from theft, weather, fire, or vandalism
- Pay an annual premium, rather than monthly
- Determine your eligibility for professional or military discounts, or purchase a policy through a partnership organization such as a union or other professional association
- Find a company which offers discounts for a safe driving record
Where Can I Find New York Motorcycle Insurance Quotes?
One sound approach to finding a customized New York motorcycle insurance policy is get in touch with an independent agent who represents multiple companies. With 27,000 agency locations throughout America, there is a Trusted Choice member agent in your area, ready to help.
These local agents can help you compare insurance quotes for your motorcycle or chopper to be sure you have the most complete coverage at a fair price. Contact one of these agents today to the protection you need before you hit the road.