Long Island, NY is a tourist destination known for famous beaches and charming boutiques. This eclectic town has award-winning vineyards and historic mansions.
If you own a home in the city of Long Island, you'll want proper coverage. An independent insurance agent can help you find the policy your house needs. Get matched with a local expert and start saving.
Do Property Crimes Impact Your Long Island, NY, Insurance?
Crime will impact your insurance costs no matter where you live. The more theft in an area, the more likely your rates will increase. Let's look at the facts:
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in the US: 376.00
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in New York: 159.30
When you live in a town close to New York City, you may account for more crime-related claims. With larger numbers of people, burglary can occur more often. You'll want to make sure your homeowners policy responds accordingly.
How Home Insurance Should Respond to a Break-In:
- Replaces or repairs any damaged or stolen property
- Pays for medical expenses if any household members are injured due to the break-in
- Pays for additional living expenses if your home needs to be repaired or replaced due to a loss
Like life insurance, you'll want your homeowners policy to apply when the worst happens. While you don't want to plan for a burglary, your agent can help you be financially prepared for one.
Catastrophic Events in Long Island, NY and Your Insurance
Severe weather can strike at any moment and lead to catastrophe. When you're caught in the middle of a natural disaster, you'll want the right home protection in place. Let's take a look at the numbers in New York:
- The average number of tornadoes per year: 10
- The most common natural disaster: Severe storms
- The number of claims paid in 2016: 2,170,228,000
- The number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 101
Your Long Island home policy should account for perils like fire, theft, and severe weather. If you're unsure what your homeowners insurance covers, get with your local independent agent to review.
Common Property Claims in Long Island, NY:
#1 - Severe storms and lightning damage
#2 - Flooding and water damage
#3 - Heavy snow
#4 - Hurricanes and tropical storms
#5 - Burglary and other property crimes
Flood Insurance for Your Long Island, NY Property:
Contrary to popular belief, your homeowners policy excludes coverage for flood damage. This means you'll need a separate flood insurance policy to have adequate protection. Look at four easy steps to get a flood quote:
1. Connect with an independent agent in Long Island, NY.
2. Determine your property's flood zone with your independent agent.
3. Have your agent quote FEMA-approved flood insurance.
4. Purchase the best flood policy option.
You'll want to have the coverage your home needs in the event of a loss. Make sure you speak with your independent agent about flood insurance before you're standing in an inch of water.
Types of Liability Insurance in Long Island, NY
Most homeowners insurance will have liability coverage as its number one defense. Due to how common liability claims are, this is a coverage you'll want to be accurate. Your homeowners liability insurance will cover the following:
- Injury to another person
- Slander or bullying caused by you or a member of the household
- A household pet bite causing harm to another person or property
- Damage to another person's property
If you are involved in a more extensive liability claim, umbrella insurance may be useful. For larger claims, an umbrella policy will supply an additional line of liability above and beyond your home's underlying policy. Once your primary home limits are exhausted, your umbrella insurance will pick up. Discuss liability options with your local agent today.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
The Cost of Home Insurance in Long Island, NY
Not all coverage is written the same. Every home insurance policy is customized and tailored to your individual needs. Take a look at home insurance rating factors used by the carriers:
- Local crime
- Coverage selected
- Year, construction type, and square footage of your home
- The replacement cost of your home
- Your credit score
- Discounts that may apply
- Your loss history
Even though comparing may not do you any good, knowing where your premium stands can help. Take a peek at homeowners insurance costs on average:
- National yearly average: $1,211
- New York yearly average: $1,309
Home insurance is essential to be adequately protected. One way to save on expenses is to bundle your policies. By coupling your home and auto insurance together, you can save upwards of 30% on annual premiums. Speak with your local independent agent to find out about your costs.
How to Insure Second and Vacation Homes in Long Island, NY
Long-term and short-term rental properties, as well as vacation homes, need to have enough insurance to cover your interests as well as third-party risk. When you're unsure which home policy is right for you, take a look below and connect with your independent agent.
Home Insurance Policy Types:
- Landlord insurance - Whether it's an Airbnb or a twelve-month lease, you'll want coverage for your interests as well as the structure itself. A landlord policy will provide the insurance needed.
- Secondary or seasonal home insurance - Coverage for your vacation home accounts for a longer vacancy. This policy will cost more than your primary homeowners insurance but will have the proper coverage.
Speak with your Long Island independent agent about all your properties and get the right policy in place.
An Independent Insurance Agent in Long Island, NY
Your homeowners insurance needs to be right the first time. An independent insurance agent can find the best policy to fit your budget. These agents work with multiple carriers, giving you options on coverage and price. Click here to find a Long Island expert in minutes.