Hurricane Sandy left an indelible mark on the Northeast. Today, many are wondering if they should have New York hurricane insurance. If you live in New York State, Sandy may have brought home the possibility that exists in many other coastal areas in the South and along the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricanes can destroy your home and financial well-being if you are not protected.
After Sandy, the need to get New York hurricane insurance quotes might have moved up on your priority list. Contact a member agent in the Trusted Choice® network in your area to discuss tropical storm risks in the Empire State and whether extra coverage makes sense for you.
Hurricane Sandy Statistics
- Hurricane Sandy caused and estimated $62 billion in damage.
- Sandy was the second most damaging storm in U.S. history, behind Hurricane Katrina.
- At least 125 people were killed by Sandy, including 60 in New York.
- At one point, tropical-storm winds stretched 820 miles from the center of the storm.
- The “damage potential,” or kinetic energy, from the storm rated a 5.8 on a 6 scale, the highest such measurement for any U.S. storm.
New York Hurricane History
This state experiences a hurricane almost annually, and sometimes multiple times in a given year. Before Sandy, storms in recent history include the following:
- August, 2011: Hurricane Irene made landfall on Coney Island.
- August, 2009: Hurricane Bill caused damage to the south shore of Long Island.
- June, 2007: Tropical Storm Barry caused washouts and flooding in the Finger Lakes.
- September, 2006: Hurricane Ernesto caused wind gusts up to 60 MPH across the state.
- October, 2005: Tropical Storm Tammy caused millions of dollars in damage to the Hudson Valley.
- August, 2005: Hurricane Katrina downed power lines and left thousands of people without power in Buffalo.
- September, 2004: Hurricane Frances, one of five hurricanes that affected New York in 2004, caused extensive flooding and over $6 million in damage in central New York.
- September, 2003: Hurricane Isabel caused over $90 million in damage from high winds and flooding and left over 1 million without power in New York City.
Don’t Be Blown Away Without Coverage
New York hurricane insurance can provide coverage for your home and other property from the wind, the most damaging aspect of hurricanes. However, it does not typically cover you in case of flooding. For flooding coverage, you will need flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you obtain this special coverage.
Your vehicles, like boats and cars, can typically be protected from hurricane damage with comprehensive insurance coverage. Comprehensive, or "other than collision" insurance, covers you in case your car, boat, or ATV is damaged by falling objects, severe weather, fire, theft or vandalism. You can contact an agent for more details on this insurance coverage when you're looking to purchase New York hurricane insurance.
If you're a business owner, it's a good idea to secure coverage for hurricanes with commercial property insurance if you own the building. If you do not own commercial property, contact an agent to get details on the best coverage for your needs and budget. There are many commercial insurance policies you can choose from that can give you protection from high winds that hurricanes bring. Keep in mind that you'll only have coverage for high wind damage, but not for flooding, unless you purchase an NFIP-backed New York flood insurance policy.
How to Find New York Hurricane Insurance
New York hurricane insurance can be difficult to find. Start by reviewing your current home insurance policy, as some homeowners policies will cover hurricane or tropical storm damage, while others will not. You can add hurricane coverage as a rider to some policies for an extra cost.
If you are looking for better coverage, better costs and better customer support, start by contacting an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network. These local independent agents have access to multiple insurance companies, which means they can shop for difficult-to-find policies and compare coverage options and rates from multiple insurance companies.
A Trusted Choice member agent can help you compare quality New York hurricane insurance quotes and make an educated decision that is right for you and your family. No matter which insurance company you choose, your Trusted Choice member agent will be your agent of record, evaluating your needs along the way. Your agent can do all the necessary paperwork and advocate for you in the event you need to file a claim. Find a local Trusted Choice member agent to get started today.