Snowmobiles abound in New York State. Whether you have one, or you are in the market for one, it might be time to shop for insurance coverage that will protect you financially in the event of an accident. A New York snowmobile insurance policy can protect you from financial loss due to a snowmobile accident.
Snowmobiling is a popular pastime in New York, and coverage is easy to find. But how do you make sure you have the right coverage for your specific machine, and your unique risks? A local, independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can make sure have adequate, up-to-date protection for your assets. Contact a member agent today for personalized New York snowmobile insurance quotes.
New York Snowmobile Statistics
- During the 2012-13 winter season, there were 193 total snowmobile accidents in New York, resulting in 14 fatalities.
- The accident rate in New York for 2012-13 was 1.65 per 1,000 registered snowmobiles, an increase of 47 percent over the previous year.
- There were roughly 117,000 snowmobiles registered in New York during the 2012-13 winter season.
- “Unsafe speed” was the number one cause of snowmobile accidents in New York.
Is New York Snowmobile Insurance Required?
Whether you’re riding on state trails in the Finger Lakes region or hurtling down a hillside during a race in the Adirondacks, New York snowmobile insurance is required to operate a sled within the state. You are required to carry at least a minimum amount of liability coverage to cover your legal responsibility in the event you are at fault for an accident that causes injuries or damage to property. The state also requires everyone who rides a sled – even passengers – to wear a helmet while on the machine.
When you shop for insurance, it is important to make sure you have the right amount of NY snowmobile insurance to cover your assets, including major repairs to your sled after an accident. A local member agent in the Trusted Choice network can sit down with you and evaluate your situation to make sure you get the insurance coverage that best meets your needs and budget.
What Does New York Snowmobile Insurance Cover?
Snowmobile coverage is similar to an automobile policy. Coverage may include:
- State-mandated liability for bodily injury and property damage you cause to other snowmobilers, plus any extra liability insurance you may prefer
- Comprehensive and collision coverage to compensate you for damages to your sled
- Uninsured/underinsured snowmobile coverage in case you are in an accident caused by a snowmobiler who doesn't have adequate insurance to pay for your losses and medical care
A local agent can talk with you about your snowmobile use and the extra insurance options you have so you can find the coverage options that best meet your needs.
Finding the Right Coverage for Your Needs
Since New York is a haven for winter recreation, there is plenty of opportunity to enjoy a good snowmobile ride. To mitigate your financial risks, get in touch with a local Trusted Choice member agent near you for quotes and personal assistance.
Be sure to provide information about your snowmobile and how you use it to help your Trusted Choice member agent find the right New York snowmobile insurance quotes for your budget and your risks.
An independent agent can shop dozens of companies to get you the best New York snowmobile insurance quotes for your needs, so you can sled with peace of mind. Contact a local agent to get started.