PA was rated as the 26th healthiest state in 2012 by the United Health Foundation. Some the state’s strengths included a high rate of high school graduation as well as a low rate of uninsured individuals. However, nearly 23 percent of the population smokes some form of tobacco and 2.8 residents are obese. Health insurance is a necessity for all state residents, but how do you find a healthcare plan that meets your needs and fits within your budget? When you work with an independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network, it’s possible to find a Pennsylvania health insurance plan that checks both boxes.
While many people receive health insurance through their employers, many are surprised to find that there more affordable health insurance may be available. A Trusted Choice member agent can compare Pennsylvania medical insurance quotes from multiple providers to find a health plan that provides quality service at an affordable rate. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent in your area to find the right plan for your family.
Pennsylvania Health Facts
- The state has high levels of air pollution.
- The state has a high rate of cancer deaths.
- The uninsured population has increased from 8.3% to 10.9% over the past 10 years.
- Infectious disease cases have grown from 7.5 to 9.7 cases out of 100,000 people.
- Public health funding has decreased over the past five years from $73 per person to $52 per person.
Pennsylvania Health Insurance Plans
Choosing a health insurance plan is an important decision, but for many people, the details can be confusing. A local independent agent can help you understand health insurance terms like co-insurance, out-of-pocket maximums, condition specific exclusions, and other things that another insurance agent may not review. Here are some of the most common health insurance policies available:
- HMO (health maintenance organization): This health insurance plan works with a network of healthcare providers to give you access to low-cost healthcare. One possible downside is that if you want to see an out-of-network provider, it may cost more.
- PPO (preferred provider organization): This health insurance plan works similar to an HMO, but allows for greater flexibility when seeing providers outside of the network. Pricing works on a tiered basis, although you’ll still pay more when going outside of the network.
- POS (point of service): This plan allows you to choose a primary care physician, but also allows you to visit providers outside of the network without a referral. Of course, to receive compensation for those services, you’re required to submit detailed documentation.
- HDHP/HSA (high deductible health plan/health savings account): Often paired together, these plans are ideal for someone that doesn’t have major health issues. A large deductible amount keeps premiums low while an HSA allows you to build up medical savings tax-deferred.
How Does an HSA Work?
An HSA works as a medical savings account. Many employers offer this option and some even contribute funds to your HSA. You can also purchase this type of health insurance plan on the individual market. Paired with an HDHP plan, you have the ability to use your HSA account until the deductible amount is met. Preventive care such as yearly vision exams and physical checkups are normally covered, and prescription coverage will vary with plans.
The money in your HSA account will roll over year to year, meaning you have ample time to accrue medical savings, especially if you don’t need to visit the doctor. Once your deductible is met, your health insurance will pay based on your how your plan is established and you can save your HSA money.
This is just one among many potential Pennsylvania health insurance plans that may suit your needs, so be sure to work with a knowledgeable local agent to explore all of your options.
Get Pennsylvania Medical Insurance Quotes Fast
If you aren’t sure which health plan is right for you, an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network who specializes in health care coverage can help. These agents have access to multiple health insurance companies and can help you compare Pennsylvania medical insurance quotes and plans.
Your agent will help guide you through details of an insurance plan and make personalized suggestions. It only takes a few moments to get started. Contact a Trusted choice member agent to find the right Pennsylvania health insurance for you and your family.