RV Insurance in Pennsylvania

Experts break down RV insurance costs, coverage, companies, and more in Pennsylvania.

Ann Herro, Insurance Expert Written by Ann Herro
Ann Herro, Insurance Expert
Written by Ann Herro

Ann Herro has been writing about insurance and employee benefits for over 15 years. She has covered topics as easy as insuring a car, and as difficult as transparency in healthcare costs.

Reviewer: Jeffrey Green Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
Reviewer: Jeffrey Green
Reviewed by Jeffrey Green

Jeff Green has held a variety of sales and management roles at life insurance companies, Wall street firms, and distribution organizations over his 40-year career.  He was previously Finra 7,24,66 registered and held life insurance licenses in multiple states. He is a graduate of Stony Brook University.


Pennsylvania is a beautiful place to explore. With the abundance of lakes, rivers, and camping destinations available, a motor home is an ideal way to travel. You can ensure that you are financially protected if your RV is in an accident by purchasing RV insurance, just as you would for a car or a truck.

RV insurance protects you, your vehicle, and your belongings when you’re vacationing or even living full-time in an RV. If you are in the market for an RV, or if you need coverage for the one you already own, an independent insurance agent can help you get multiple quotes for RV insurance in Pennsylvania. A local agent can help you choose the best coverage for your needs and budget.

What Is RV Insurance?

RV insurance in Pennsylvania blends home and auto insurance coverage into one policy. It protects the vehicle from collisions with other vehicles or objects and damage caused by weather, vandalism, theft, and other perils. In addition, it should cover your personal property inside the RV and provide liability protection if you cause injury or damage to someone else.

RV insurance can be purchased as an add-on to your auto coverage or as a separate RV insurance policy. You must have at least the state minimum liability coverage for motor homes, because they are driven and not towed. You'll need a separate RV insurance policy if your motor home is classified as class A, class B, or class C if it's financed or a rental.

RV insurance is generally divided into two categories: recreational and full-timer. If you don't live in your RV full time, recreational insurance will cover your RV inside and out when you’re on the road or parked at a campsite. A full-time RV insurance policy is for those who use a motor home or travel trailer as their primary residence.

How Much Does RV Insurance Cost in Pennsylvania?

The cost of RV insurance in Pennsylvania varies depending on the type of vehicle, how it's driven, and the driver's characteristics. Part-time RV insurance is likely to cost less than full-time RV insurance, because full-timers spend far more time driving the RV, travel farther, and keep more possessions inside the vehicle.

Here are some of the factors that will influence the cost of RV insurance in Pennsylvania:

  • The driving record of the RV owner, including RV driving experience
  • How many miles the RV will be driven and where it will be driven
  • The type and class of the RV
  • The size and length of the RV
  • The age and condition of the RV
  • The value of the RV
  • Where the RV will be stored
  • Whether the RV is financed

Types of coverage and deductibles selected also play a significant role in your RV insurance costs in Pennsylvania.

What Does RV Insurance Cover in Pennsylvania?

A basic RV insurance policy in Pennsylvania is likely to include the following types of coverage:

  • Physical damage coverage: This compensates you for loss or damage to your vehicle. It includes:
  • Collision coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
  • Comprehensive coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: This protects you if you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver while operating your RV.
  • Medical payments coverage: This pays for medical expenses for you or your passengers if you’re in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

A variety of other RV insurance coverage options are available. Depending on the insurance company you choose, these may include:

  • International travel coverage: This will cover you if you plan to drive your RV into Mexico or Canada.
  • Loss replacement coverage: This will help you replace your RV if it suffers a total loss.
  • Personal property insurance: This provides coverage for personal items inside your RV, such as clothing, kitchen items, tools, equipment, electronics, etc.
  • Attached accessories coverage: This reimburses you for damage to items like awnings or TV antennas that are not covered under the basic policy.
  • Emergency expenses coverage: This reimburses you for hotel or transportation costs after you’ve had an accident and cannot use your RV.
  • Campsite and vacation coverage: This protects you if you use your RV or motor home as a temporary residence during a vacation. It covers your liability exposures in these situations.

Part-time RV users who only use their vehicle during certain months can suspend their collision and liability coverage when the RV is not in use. This can help them save money on their premiums.


Save on RV Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

Is RV Insurance Required in Pennsylvania?

If your RV has its own motor (like a motor home), you’ll need liability insurance for it, just as you need insurance for your car. The minimum required limits of liability insurance in Pennsylvania are as follows:

  • $15,000 bodily injury liability per person
  • $30,000 bodily injury liability per accident
  • $5,000 property damage liability per accident
  • $5,000 personal injury protection/medical payments coverage

If your RV is a trailer like a pop-up or a travel trailer that you tow behind a separate vehicle, RV insurance isn’t required, since the liability coverage from your auto plan will generally also apply to the trailer, as long as it’s listed in your policy. 

If you finance the purchase of your RV, your lender will probably require you to buy comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to liability coverage before your financing will be approved.

If you live in your RV full time, you’ll need special “full-timer” RV insurance that combines elements of auto insurance and homeowners insurance.

What Are the Best RV Insurance Companies in Pennsylvania?

Local independent insurance agents make comparison shopping for RV insurance easy. They can obtain quotes from the best RV insurance companies in Pennsylvania and ensure that you're getting your policy at a competitive price.

How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find RV Insurance in Pennsylvania?

Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of options so you can make the best choice. 

What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.

Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn