Renters insurance can be confusing if you don't know what to look for. Fortunately, you won't have to search for coverage by yourself.
An independent insurance agent can help at no additional cost, making it much easier. They'll compare coverage and cost within their network of highly rated carriers, so you don't have to. Get connected with an expert and start saving in minutes.
What Is Renters Insurance?
Renters insurance protects renters from losses that include their belongings and third-party liability claims. Check out how it works:
- Renters insurance: Coverage will protect against fire, theft, vandalism, and severe weather damage loss. Liability coverage is included to protect the renter from a lawsuit due to property damage or injury to a third party while at their rental.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in Pennsylvania?
Each renters insurance policy in Pennsylvania will cover the same losses with limits that are set to your specifications. Here is what is covered under a standard renters policy:
- Renters liability coverage: This coverage pays for losses that include an injury or property damage of a third party on your property. Court fees and legal expenses are usually covered as well.
- Renters contents coverage: This is known as personal property coverage and can help pay for the replacement or repair of your belongings. Fire, theft, severe weather damage, and vandalism are among the top losses covered.
Common questions on renters insurance coverage:
- Does renters insurance cover a fire loss? Each renters policy will cover any loss to your contents from fire damage. Coverage will also extend to medical expenses of an injured third party due to a fire.
- Does renters insurance cover car theft? Typically, your renters insurance will extend up to 10% of the personal property limit of your vehicle in the event your belongings get stolen from your car. It does not cover the car being stolen itself.
- Does renters insurance cover water damage? If you sustain water damage due to a burst pipe or leakage, most renters policies will cover damage to your contents. However, if a flood occurs, this is not included and must have a separate flood policy to be insured.
What Does Renters Insurance Not Cover?
It's vital that you understand what is and isn't covered under your Pennsylvania renters insurance. If you have to file a claim, these losses are not typically included under your renters policy coverage:
- The exterior of the building
- Intentional losses like arson
- Water/sewer backup unless added
Ready to Save on Renters Insurance?
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Is Renters Insurance Required by Law?
All states will have individual requirements concerning insurance coverage. In Pennsylvania, you're not required by law to carry renters insurance, however, a landlord may make it mandatory. Often, landlords will be listed on your renters policy as an additional insured to have protection if named in a lawsuit. A certificate of insurance is necessary to provide evidence of coverage to your landlord.
What are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in Pennsylvania?
If you're searching for Pennsylvania renters insurance, the options can seem endless. Finding coverage through reputable insurance companies is key to obtaining the right protection. Here are some markets in Pennsylvania:
The best way to find a renters policy that suits your needs is through a trusted adviser. They work with dozens of highly rated carriers so you don't have to.
Why Shop Renters Insurance with an Independent Agent?
When you're shopping for Pennsylvania renters insurance, there's a lot you need to understand, from what limits cover to the amounts that protect you best. Fortunately, there's a knowledgeable expert who can help for free.
An independent insurance agent will quote your coverage through multiple markets at once. This saves you time and premium dollars, making it a no-brainer. Get connected with a local adviser and start saving today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.