If you own a home in Bethlehem or are considering purchasing a house there, getting the right types and amounts of home insurance is a must. You'll need insurance to protect your financial investment and your overall financial well-being.
An independent insurance agent in Bethlehem can help you understand if there are any location-specific issues you need to address when you choose home insurance. They can make sure you get the most affordable policy from a trustworthy company. Find an insurance agent near you today to learn more.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Bethlehem, PA?
You'll pay less for home insurance in Pennsylvania than you would in many other areas of the country. Even so, you'll need to shop around to find the best value for your dollar.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Pennsylvania average yearly premium: $913
- Pennsylvania is the 38th most expensive state for home insurance
Averages can give you an idea of what to expect, but your quotes may be much higher or lower than the average depending on a number of factors:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, condo, manufactured home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Your agent will help you compare quotes so you can choose the policy that makes the most sense for your situation and your home.
Does Bethlehem Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your home insurance is designed to cover you against many common perils you'll face as a homeowner in Bethlehem. This includes catastrophic events like fires and severe weather. Flooding isn't typically included in a home insurance policy. Your agent can talk with you about how to determine your risk of flooding. If you want additional insurance, you can get it through your agent from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Catastrophic events in Pennsylvania
- Number of federally declared disasters in Pennsylvania: 62
- Most common reasons for disasters in PA: Severe storms
- Number of severe storms declared as a disaster in PA since 1953: 41
- Number of hurricanes declared as a disaster in PA since 1953: 21
- Number of floods declared as a disaster in PA since 1953: 10
As a Bethlehem resident, you are most likely to have to make repairs to your home due to severe storms. Fortunately, weather-related hazards such as heavy snow, freezing temperatures, and wind are covered in most home insurance policies.
Talk with your agent about how to make sure you have enough coverage to rebuild or restore your home after a catastrophic event.
Why Do Bethlehem Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits tend to be stressful and expensive. They can drag out over time, leaving you with a pile of legal bills in addition to damage for which you bear legal responsibility.
Your home insurance policy covers many of the expenses related to a liability lawsuit after a covered event. Here are some instances when you'll need a good liability policy:
- A visitor in your home falls down the stairs and breaks their leg
- Your child throws a baseball through your neighbor's glass door
- Your dog bites the neighbor's cat
- A local business sues you for libel after you posted a negative review of their services on social media
An agent in Bethlehem can explain how your homeowners policy works in relation to liability coverage. If you'd like higher liability limits than your policy can provide, consider adding an inexpensive umbrella policy to boost your coverage.
Does Bethlehem Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
Your chances of having your home broken into in Pennsylvania are lower than in the rest of the country. The risk still exists, though.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Pennsylvania: 2.78
Having your home broken into can be expensive. It's a stressful situation, and having the right types of home insurance can help you reduce your out-of-pocket costs. Your home insurance can help you cover the costs of repairing your home if it's damaged in the course of a robbery. It will also provide compensation for lost possessions after a covered event.
Home security systems provide an effective theft deterrent. Insurance companies often offer discounts for policyholders who have burglar alarms. If you don't already have a home security system, talk with your agent about your options and how you can get the discounts you deserve.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
If you have a vacation home or second home, you'll need special insurance policies to adequately cover your risks. While your home insurance covers your main dwelling, additional homes aren't automatically covered.
Your second home may require a higher liability and property damage limit if your rent to tenants. Landlord insurance can help you protect your investment in your second home.
If you have a vacation home that's vacant throughout most of the year, consider vacant home insurance. This coverage provides you with protection from your increased risk of break-ins and property damage.
No matter how many homes you own and where they are located, your agent can help you put together an insurance package that protects your financial interests over the long haul. They can build a policy that combines the lowest possible premiums with the most coverage.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Bethlehem, PA?
Your independent insurance agent in Bethlehem works for you, not for the insurance companies. You'll get trustworthy guidance while you shop for the home insurance coverage you need most.
Independent agents in Bethlehem are ready to help. Contact an agent today to get started comparing your customized home insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.