Since the city’s founding on a natural ford of the Trinity River, local history has been tied to nearby bodies of water. Several busy fishing and boating lakes lie within a short drive of this city, too. Texas does not require individual boat owners to purchase coverage, as a boat owner, you may want to consider protecting your financies with a Dallas, TX boat insurance policy.
How can you find the right policy at a fair price? Your local independent member of the Trusted Choice® network will be happy to help you shop around for the best policy at the right price. These agents do not work for a specific insurer, so they are free to help you compare multiple Dallas boat insurance quotes form top rated companies. Protect your boat by contacting one of these local agents today.
Local Boating Costs and Information
- Insurance for personal boats may cost less than $1 a day
- Average personal boat insurance cost estimate: $300 - $500 a year
- Typical boat policies include these deductibles: $250 for property damage, $500 for theft, $1,000 for medical payments
- Liability limits may start at $15,000 but can be increased
- The state requires boat registrations for motorized watercraft
Some popular waterways within a short drive of the city include Lake Lewisville, Lake Grapevine, and Cedar Creek Lake. Because the city enjoys a fairly mild climate most of the year, water sports enthusiasts have a long boating and fishing season.
Dallas Boat Insurance Considerations
- State boat accidents, 2010: 152
- State boating related injuries, 2010: 136
- State boating related deaths, 2010: 27
The city’s metropolitan area is the 4th largest one in the United States, and residents own a variety of different types of boats. It would be impossible to state one average cost for Dallas boat insurance. The price you pay for your own policy will depend upon your coverage choices, the type of boat you own, how you use your craft, and several other individual factors.
Here are some scenarios that you may want to this about:
- The motorized bass boat that you tow to all the way to Fork Lake will need different coverage than the canoe you use for an afternoon of paddling down the Trinity River.
- If you store your sailing yacht near the shore or at a lakeside marina, you will have different concerns than if you commonly store it on a local lot and tow it to the water.
- If you rent out your craft or use it to give tours, you may also have commercial boat coverage concerns.
Some risks may be covered by other policies. For example, your homeowners insurance policy might cover your boat while it is stored at your house if you have adequate policy limits. Your auto liability insurance policy may provide some coverage in case your boat and boat trailer cause damage to another’s property while on the road. Review your current coverage to see what you have before purchasing boat insurance.
You will also find that different insurers offer different prices for nearly identical coverage. With all the choices and variables available with boat insurance, it is recommended you find an experienced insurance professional to help you decide. A Trusted Choice member agent can help you shop for the right coverage at the best possible price.
What Is Covered By Dallas Boat Insurance?
Some plans may include different types of boat coverage in a package while others allow boat owners to choose from a menu of selections. These are common types of boat insurance you will want to discuss with your local agent:
- Liability Insurance: This covers the potentially high cost of liability claims from third parties. Includes:
- Property Damage Liability: for damage you cause to someone else's property with your boat
- Bodily Injury Liability: for injuries you cause to another person with your boat
- Property Damage: This covers damage to your property.
- Personal Property Damage Coverage: covers your boat and other specified items that are damaged in a collision or other accident
- Property Coverage for Equipment: covers your boating equipment, lifejackets, or other contents you want to insure
- Extra Insurance: These additional options provide extra coverage.
- Towing and roadside assistance
- Medical payments coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured boaters
Compare Dallas Boat Insurance Quotes
While many boat owners will have similar concerns, others will have unique needs that cannot be satisfied with a one-size-fits-all boat policy. Your local independent Trusted Choice member agent will be happy to help you compare a variety price quotes to find the best possible deal from a well rated insurer.
These local agents are also available to answer your policy questions and give you professional service if you ever do need to make a claim. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent right away to learn more about Dallas boat insurance options.