According to the U.S. Census, almost a quarter of San Antonio, TX, residents lack health insurance. This figure is almost the same as the rate of uninsured people in the entire state of Texas. If you lack a health care plan or believe your current coverage is too expensive, it may be time to research some better San Antonio health insurance options. A local independent Trusted Choice® network agent can help you sort through your choices. Your local agent can assist you by suggesting policy options and comparing San Antonio health insurance plans from multiple companies.
San Antonio, Texas Health Insurance Rates
- Rate of uninsured in San Antonio: 24.3%
- Rate of uninsured Texans: 24%
- Rate of uninsured Americans: 16%
Different residents of the San Antonio Metropolitan Area will find different medical coverage solutions. While there is no perfect solution for everybody, a lot more people could find good healthcare options if they would take the time to compare rates and plans.
For example, you may have gotten used to very comprehensive coverage when you received group benefits at work. If you now have to pay the entire premium yourself, you might have to accept higher deductibles or co-payments.
San Antonio Health Insurance Options
Many San Antonio residents may find it helpful to consider some basic sources of medical insurance:
- Employer-based group medical plans
- Individual and family health insurance
- Supplemental health insurance
- State and federal public health plans and clinics
- Private foundations and charities
The biggest San Antonio employers, like Rackspace and Valero Energy, provide many employees with group medical insurance benefits. Most employers, large and small, expect their workers to pay part of the premium, and those employers will usually contribute as well.
Thousands of city residents either turn down group coverage or lack access to group health insurance. Folks who lack access may include the self-employed, people on early retirement or contract workers. Employees may simply think their company’s group premiums are too expensive. All of these people are free to purchase individual and family medical plans from a private insurer.
What Is the Cost of San Antonio Insurance?
There is no single good estimated average rate for all individuals and families. Factors unique to each situation affect how rates are set. These are some of the factors:
- Group plans: Your payments might depend upon the price of the insurance plan, the number of people you need to cover and your employer's contribution.
- Individual and family plans: Private insurers base rates upon the age and general health of the insured and the type of plan and amount of coverage. Different insurers may even have friendlier rate schedules for different types of applicants. A good local agent can help you compare health insurance quotes so you can find a good deal.
- Public medical plans: Rates vary. Low-income plans, like CHIPS, may depend upon the size and income of the applicant’s family. High-risk plans, like the Texas Risk Pool, may consider the applicant’s age, exact location and deductible amount.
Bexar County also has a number of free and low-income clinics for poorer residents of the city.
Compare San Antonio Medical Insurance Quotes
Has your health insurance company raised rates, or do you lack any sort of healthcare plan at all? If so, turn to a Trusted Choice network agent for free comparisons of San Antonio medical insurance quotes and answers to your medical coverage questions. These local agents are not just in place to sell insurance, but also to help clients find the right solutions for all of their coverage needs.