The city of Brownsville is on the very southern tip of Texas. It is situated along the Gulf Coast at the Mexican border. Residents typically enjoy a subtropical climate but sometimes face hazards in the form of hurricanes, tropical storms, and tornadoes. If you own a home in the city that calls itself "The Border by the Sea," be sure to protect your property with the right Brownsville, TX homeowners insurance.
An independent agent can help you find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our specialized agents will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,211
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,893
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Policy costs can vary significantly from one person to the next. The cost of your home insurance will depend on your home’s value, your claim history, your chosen deductible, and several other unique considerations. Your property’s particular ZIP code within Cameron County may also affect your rates. Even a fairly random event, like a tornado, may affect a property’s assessed risk.
Of course, you may be able to qualify for home policy discounts that can save you a lot of money. Area homes are frequently threatened by windstorms like hurricanes and tornadoes, so an updated roof could qualify you for a discount. You can also get discounts for such things as having multiple policies with the same insurer, installing deadbolt locks, and having a home security system.
What Does Brownsville Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Most home policies include a few different types of coverage. While some policies will require you to purchase additional riders for some valuables or to achieve coverage against damages caused by hurricanes or earthquakes, you can expect your Brownsville homeowners insurance policy to cover:
- Building property: This covers any damage to the structure of your home, including outlying structures such as detached garages and fencing.
- Home contents: This covers the personal property you keep in your home and on your property.
- Liability: This protects you from personal injury or property damage charges and lawsuits for libel and slander. It also includes any related court costs and legal fees.
- Relocation assistance or “loss of use”: This provides compensation for expenses incurred while securing temporary housing if a covered event renders your home unfit for habitation.
You should also concern yourself with hazards that are not typically covered by home policies. For example, Cameron County residents may need to purchase additional flood and windstorm insurance to supplement their basic policies. An independent insurance agent can explain your various coverage options.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US:
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 360
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 155
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Because of the city’s location along the Texas Gulf Coast, Brownsville is vulnerable to hurricanes and tornadoes. Despite having a fairly dry climate, it has also been struck by damaging flash-floods. Fortunately, a homeowners policy that includes hurricane insurance and is supplemented by a flood insurance policy will protect you from financial losses if your property is damaged by one of these weather events.
Theft in Texas:
- National average for burglaries: 376.0
- Texas number of burglaries per 100K people: 410.80
A burglary can result in more than just property loss. You may also suffer property damage in the form of broken doors or windows. Take steps to protect yourself against home break-ins. A simple burglar alarm system will reduce your risks and may even earn you a lower price on your home insurance.
You will want to be sure that you have a complete inventory of your home's contents and that your insurance coverage is sufficient to replace some of your most valuable items.
Compare Brownsville, TX Homeowners Insurance Quotes Today
A TrustedChoice independent insurance agent can make it easy to find the right insurance policy at an affordable price. These independent agents can answer your insurance-related questions, give you coverage advice and offer you a variety of Brownsville home insurance quotes to review and compare.
Enjoy the peace-of-mind that goes along with knowing that your home is suitably protected by a quality Brownsville homeowners insurance policy.