The city of Garland was created in the 18th century when the local post office was moved between two competing towns. The two rival towns eventually combined with the area around the post office, and the new city was born. Now, Garland has grown into a large suburb in the vast Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. If you live in this historical area, how can you find the right Garland, TX homeowners insurance?
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can assist you when it’s time to buy a new policy or just review your current home policy to see if it’s fairly priced and adequate for your needs. Independent agents are available to help you compare multiple Garland home insurance quotes and find the right policy for your home and belongings. Get the personal assistance and excellent value you are seeking by contacting a local member agent today.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Comparing your own Garland homeowner’s insurance rates to state or national average rates might be interesting, but the best way to figure out how much you can expect to pay for your home policy is to get accurate quotes from several different insurance companies. A Trusted Choice member agent can provide several competitive rate quotes for free.
Garland Homeowners Insurance Coverage Types
While home policy rates vary, many of them have standard types of coverage. Common coverage types include:
- Building property: Property coverage choices include "replacement value" on your home, which takes into account the modern costs of rebuilding your home, and "actual cash value," which only takes into account the market value of your home, with depreciation.
- Personal belongings: Covers your personal property, as a percentage of your home value. Here are some important notes:
- To get a sense of your property's actual value, take a complete home inventory, with estimated values.
- Compare that total to your coverage amount. You may need additional coverage to ensure you will be covered in the event of an event such as a house fire.
- If you have very valuable items, speak to your independent agent about adding riders to your policy to cover your valuables.
- Note also that this portion of your policy may or may not cover the items in your garage or shed.
- Liability insurance: If you cause an accident, you could be held responsible for the resulting injuries or property damage. If you face a lawsuit, your homeowners liability coverage will cover your defense costs and help pay for possible settlements, up to your coverage limits.
- Relocation assistance or “loss of use”: This portion of your policy will help you pay for additional living expenses if your house becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss.
Also be sure to research incidents that your basic policy may exclude. Excluded incidents typically include earthquake, flooding and sometimes windstorms. While Collin and Dallas counties are not particularly earthquake-prone, they do suffer their share of heavy rains and floods.
You can also ask a Trusted Choice member agent if your house is protected against common hazards, or if you need to purchase additional coverage.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Garland lies mostly in Dallas County, with some expansion into Collin County. This area lies in a region of northern Texas that is more prone to tornadoes than other parts of the state. While the city is far from the Gulf Coast, tropical storms and hurricanes have also traveled up the state to deliver punishing rain, wind, and floods to the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
A Trusted Choice member agent can help you set the right coverage limits on your homeowners insurance and also assist you when purchasing flood insurance.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Theft in Texas
- National average number for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
To protect your house and property from theft, make sure you have adequate personal property protection to compensate you for losses and damage.
Many people don't realize that some of our smallest belongings – such as handheld electronic devices, mobile phones, video equipment and iPads – are the most expensive to replace, and are also some of the easiest targets for burglars. Make sure you inventory these items and that your coverage reflects your investment in your personal possessions.
Some police departments and insurance companies suggest installing home security systems to deter crime before it happens. You might even earn a discount on your coverage rates for installing an approved system.
Garland Home Insurance Quotes
Finding the right insurance company and choosing coverage options can be time-consuming and complicated. A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can do most of the work for you. These agents work with multiple insurance companies and can research a wide range of quotes to help you find the right fit for your needs and budget.
Contact a local member agent to compare Garland home insurance quotes and make an informed choice that fits your family.