The City of Grand Prairie has grown from a modest railroad town into a thriving Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area suburb. This area normally experiences a humid subtropical climate with long, hot summers and mild winters. But sometimes Grand Prairie sees the occasional tornado, hail storm and heavy rain. If you own a new or pre-owned home nearby, you can protect your investment with Grand Prairie, TX homeowners insurance.
Contact an insurance agent in the Trusted Choice® network today for help finding affordable Grand Prairie home insurance quotes and getting you the insurance you need.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Residents of the Dallas Metropolitan area enjoy lower average rates than homeowners in many other parts of Texas. But only a qualified agent can tell you the cost of homeowners coverage for your house. Your own Grand Prairie homeowners insurance rate depends on a variety of factors including:
- Age and value of the home
- Personal risk factors
- Level of liability coverage
Grand Prairie Homeowners Insurance Coverage Types
Homeowners insurance protects you from the expense of damage to your house, garage and property. If your home is struck by a catastrophe, such as a fire, tornado, hail storm, burglary or other disaster, your homeowners insurance provides a portion of the funds you need to repair and rebuild. Typically, a policy would include the following types of coverage:
- Property damage, which pays to repair the structure of your home after a disaster
- Contents coverage, which pays to replace your stolen or damaged clothes, furniture and electronics
- Liability, which pays medical expenses and court costs for bodily injury and property damage claims if you are at fault or someone sues you due to injury or property damage while they are on your premises
You can choose to insure your property for actual cash value, which takes depreciation into account. But it may be wiser to pay a little extra for replacement cost coverage, which provides funds to rebuild or replace damaged buildings and property at the current market rate.
You may need to add other types of coverage that are useful to you such as in-home business insurance, umbrella coverage and RV coverage. An independent agent can bundle your policies together to save you time and money each month.
What Is Not Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
While internal flooding from broken pipes is covered, water damage from natural flooding, such as excess rain and creek overflow, is not covered by a typical home policy. The City of Grand Prairie participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, which means you can purchase inexpensive flood insurance to cover your home and belongings in the event of a flood. A local agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you purchase this coverage.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
Grand Prairie and the entire Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area lie in Tornado Alley. The odds of suffering tornado damage here are higher than in the rest of Texas or most parts of the nation. A recent tornado that struck Tarrant County caused $5 million in estimated damage.
Hail storms, heavy rains, tropical storms and floods are also concerns for Grand Prairie residents. The right Grand Prairie homeowners insurance policy can protect you from financial loss when the unexpected happens.
Theft in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
No one expects to become a victim of theft. To protect your own home from the threat of thieves or vandals, you might check to make sure you have adequate home contents insurance. A good alarm system can help to deter thieves, and it may even get you lower insurance rates.
Grand Prairie Home Insurance Quotes
How do you know if you have the right coverage at the right price? An independent Trusted Choice agent can assist you by answering coverage questions and getting you free rate quotes.