Originally Killeen began as a modest railroad town, but the community experienced a growth spurt around the time of World War II when the U.S. Army turned Camp Hood into Fort Hood and began using it as a military training post. Today, Killeen is a vibrant city with a population of 130,000. If you own a house in this active community, make sure it is well protected with the right Killeen, TX homeowners insurance.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you compare multiple Killeen home insurance quotes and select the right policy. Contact a local member agent today to get the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Texas
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Texas yearly premium average: $1,661
- 3rd most expensive premium in the US
Many factors will affect your actual Killeen home insurance quotes. Your prior claim history, home value and age of your home are a few considerations that insurers take into account when calculating coverage rates.
You may be able to reduce your home insurance costs as well. For example, many insurance companies will offer discounts for improving safety and security of your home. If you have a security system or burglar alarm installed, or an automatic fire sprinkler system, be sure to inform your agent, as you may qualify for lower rates.
Killeen Homeowners Insurance Coverage Types
Rates vary, but basic home policies tend to be fairly consistent. A basic Killeen homeowners policy will consist of:
- Property coverage: Covers your home's structure against damage from fire, vandalism and severe weather. Note that your policy will not cover damage from flood or earthquake.
- Detached structure coverage: Covers damage to sheds and outbuildings on your property.
- Personal belongings coverage: Covers some portion of the cost to replace your personal possessions. Be sure to look this coverage over carefully and determine if it is enough to cover the value of your belongings, which for most people is over $20,000. Additional endorsements are available if you have valuables, antiques or collectibles to insure.
- Liability insurance: Covers bodily harm to others, or damage to their property, if you are responsible. Also covers your legal defense and the cost of settlements or judgments you must pay to the victim.
- Relocation assistance or “loss of use”: Covers temporary lodging if you must move out of your premises during repairs after a covered event such as a house fire.
Does My Home Insurance Exclude Anything?
A typical home policy will cover water damage if it is caused by water leaking from your roof, or a burst pipe. However, it excludes water damage caused by flooding. Also, it is important to note that while your homeowners policy will most likely cover damage from the next tropical storm, it will most likely not cover flooding that occurs after the storm.
Flood insurance policies are available from the National Flood Insurance Program. A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you assess your own risks and find appropriate coverage to protect your home and finances.
Number of Catastrophes in Texas and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Texas: 1,935
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Texas: 221
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Property damage from weather in Texas: $1,026,150,000
The city lies in a part of central Texas known as “Flash Flood Alley,” and flash floods claim more lives in Texas than any other type of natural disaster. It is also at the very southern tip of “Tornado Alley.” And recent central Texas wildfires have also affected the area. Ensure you’re covered for all forms of natural disaster by setting the right policy limits and closing any coverage gaps that exist in your current policy.
Theft in Texas
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Texas number of burglaries: 190,898
Some parts of the city are considered to have an average to high burglary rate when compared against other U.S. cities. To improve your security, consider installing a home security system.
Not only do these devices help deter burglars from entering your property, but many insurers will even offer a home policy discount for their customers that have approved burglar alarm systems.
Compare Killen Home Insurance Quotes
As a home owner, you want to find the right coverage to protect your home against a variety of natural and man-made threats. In addition to the risks to your home and property, your home insurance policy can protect you against liability risks that threaten your financial well-being. The first step is to find an agent who can help you compare several different Killeen home insurance quotes from quality insurance companies.
A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you review several options for Killeen homeowner’s insurance and select the best options for your unique situation. Contact a member agent today for personal assistance.