The 2010 U.S. Census reports that mobile homes account for about 1 percent of total housing in Houston, the largest Texas city. That is a huge amount of manufactured housing, and it does not include rural and suburban areas that are considered part of the greater metropolitan area. Whether your home is located in the city or a suburb, you can find Houston, TX mobile home insurance right in town.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network has an office near you and can show you a variety of coverage choices from several companies. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent today to get personalized information about Houston mobile home insurance rates and plans.
Compare Manufactured Home Ownership Costs
- Average local mobile home price in 2009: $39,777
- Average Texas homeowners insurance premium: $1,560
- Estimated cost of mobile home insurance: $1,200 per $100,000
Mobile homes tend to cost as much or more to insure as site-built houses because the light materials used in construction make manufactured homes more vulnerable to storm and fire.
Houston mobile home insurance companies consider more than a house’s value when they determine your premium. Other factors, like the home’s condition, age, location and your personal risk factors also play a part.
Mobile Homes vs. Site-Built Homes
- Percentage of houses that are mobile homes: 1%
- Average manufactured home building costs per square foot, 2006: $40
- Average traditional home building costs per square foot, 2006: $100
Manufactured houses provide residents an affordable and convenient alternative to traditionally constructed houses. Manufactured houses are less expensive and can be quicker to build. However, the quick assembly and lightweight materials may raise your risk of damage from wind, rain, fire and burglary. An independent agent can help you find coverage specially suited to the unique risks and benefits of mobile home ownership in your area.
Modular Homes vs. Manufactured Homes
- Manufacturers construct mobile homes and manufactured homes in a factory and then deliver them to a home site. The builder then straps them down to pillars or a concrete pad.
- Builders construct modular homes on a foundation, from factory built parts.
Manufactured and mobile homes are essentially the same. They are houses that are put together in a factory and then shipped to a home site. Modular homes are different because they are constructed on a site from pre-built parts. Insurers may consider modular homes less risky because they are constructed of heavier materials on a foundation. Modular homeowners often purchase coverage similar to typical homeowners policies. A local agent can discuss your home with you to help you choose the right kind of insurance for your situation.
Mobile Home Insurance Coverage Types
A basic Houston mobile home policy provides several types of coverage in one convenient package and, depending on your needs, can also have special riders and additions such as in-home business insurance and umbrella policies. The following are typical forms of mobile home coverage you may need:
- Property damage: This covers your actual home and possibly other structures on your property for damage from storms, fire and burglary. You can insure your mobile home for actual cash value, which allows for depreciation, or replacement cost, which provides funds to purchase a new mobile home if the first is a total loss.
- Home contents: This covers the possessions you keep in your house. This would include clothes, electronics, furniture and appliances.
- Owner’s liability: This covers you against lawsuits in case another person claims your action or inaction caused them an injury or property damage. This coverage pays the plaintiff's medical bills, repairs, court ordered damages and your legal defense, up to the limits of your policy.
- Medical payments: This can help pay medical bills in case an injury to a resident for a covered reason.
- Relocation assistance: This is a policy option that will help you pay for temporary lodging if you must repair or rebuild your home.
There may be other types of coverage you need for more complete protection. For example, typical home policies do not include flood insurance coverage from the National Flood Insurance Program. In some parts of Harris County, residents must also purchase separate windstorm insurance. A local agent can help you choose the right coverage for your exact location.
Find Houston Manufactured Home Insurance Quotes
Finding the right coverage at the right price can take time and effort. A member agent in the Trusted Choice network can offer you honest advice and free rate quotes.