Lots of warm days and hill country scenery make motorcycle riding very popular in this large central Texas city. Motorcycles have increased in popularity recently because they are fun and economical. However, an increase in popularity has also brought an increase in Alamo City accidents. Make sure you protect yourself and your ride with the best San Antonio, TX motorcycle insurance.
State Motorcycle Insurance Rules
These are some of the things to keep in mind if you ride a motorcycle in the state of Texas:
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/25
- Coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
- DPS motorcycle basic safety class.
- Some riders are exempt from helmet law.
- Texas motorcycle license.
- Texas motor vehicle registration for street bikes.
- Texas off highway vehicle registration for off-road bikes.
These requirements apply to riders who take street-legal motorcycles on public streets. Bexar County also hosts trails and tracks for sport and dirt bikes. Different rules and coverage requirements apply for off-road bikes not driven on public roads. The Texas Off-Highway Vehicle Program (OHV) only requires registration of off-road vehicles used on public trails.
The state exempts many riders from helmet regulations. General requirements include proof of health insurance, being 21 or older and having completed the approved motorcycle safety class.
San Antonio Motorcycle Insurance Cost Considerations
- Average price of a new motorcycle, 2009: $12,304
- Liability insurance cost estimates for an adult with a good driving record: $200 to $400
- Full coverage cost estimate for an adult with a good driving record: $400 to $800
Your own individual rates for San Antonio motorcycle insurance may depend upon several factors. Your insurer will consider your exact home ZIP code, age and prior claims history. The insurer may also consider your bike's model and usage. If you only take weekend rides, you may get cheaper rates than if you use your bike to commute to work on Loop 410 every day.
Motorcycle Insurance Cost Savings
Some insurers will offer discounts for things that clients do to save money or make it easier to do business. You may even qualify for more than one discount, which may help you reduce your premiums substantially. Get discounts for some or all of the following:
- Taking an approved safety course
- Insuring your other vehicles or home with the same company
- Having anti-theft devices
- Having a clean driving record
- Paying promptly with automatic debits or in advance
San Antonio Motorcycle Insurance Types
- Property liability: This covers another person’s property in the event you cause an accident.
- Bodily injury liability: This compensates another person for accident injury related expenses if you cause an accident.
- Collision: This covers your motorcycle in the case where you cause an accident.
- Medical payments: This can help cover medical bills from an accident.
- Comprehensive: This covers non accident-related damage to your property. Examples include storms, theft and vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This covers you in case an uninsured or hit-and-run motorist damages you.
- Roadside assistance: This is similar to a motor club. With this coverage, you can call for a tow, battery charge or flat tire fix.
You may be able to purchase these coverages separately or bundled together in one policy.
Compare San Antonio Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
It can be simple to select the right insurance from the right insurer. A local member of the Trusted Choice network can help you select policy options and then compare multiple insurers' offers for the best rates.
Contact a Trusted Choice member agent right away to find and compare San Antonio motorcycle insurance plans and rates.