Residents of South Jordan, UT see a fair amount of traffic, so they should be wary of hazards on the road. Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere whether you are merging onto the Veterans' Memorial Highway on your way to Salt Lake City, passing a slow-moving vehicle on W 11400 S on your way across town or caught up in congestion on State Street while out running errands. Fortunately, a solid South Jordan auto insurance policy can provide you with the coverage you need to protect your finances in the event of a motor vehicle accident.
Finding quality coverage at an affordable price is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. These local insurance agents can make rate inquiries from a variety of insurers on your behalf and can then provide you with an assortment of customized South Jordan car insurance quotes that you can compare together. This makes it easy for you to select the policy that comes at the best price. Find an agent near you to learn more.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Utah average cost per year: $1,059
- 40th most expensive auto premium in U.S.
Auto insurance rates in Utah are considerably lower than average national rates; however, the cost of coverage varies significantly from one person to the next. For example, an 18-year-old boy driving a sports car is likely to pay far more for his coverage than a 40-year-old married woman who is driving a minivan. When calculating the cost of your South Jordan car insurance premiums, the insurance companies from which you have requested a quote consider such things as these:
- The make, model, year and other information about the vehicle(s) you wish to insure as indicated by the vehicle identification number (VIN)
- The ZIP code where you live and where you park your car (i.e., the street, driveway, carport or garage)
- The age, sex, marital status and driving records of all licensed drivers in your household unless you are specifically excluding them from your policy’s coverage
- Your car insurance claims history
- The amount of liability insurance you wish to purchase
- The deductible amount you are requesting
- Your bundling choices (i.e., whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy, such as home, life or business insurance)
Every insurance company has its own proprietary way of assessing risk and calculating rates, so it should come as no surprise that each is likely to quote you a different price for coverage. Comparison shopping puts you at an advantage by allowing you to choose the policy that best meets your coverage and budgetary needs.
Utah Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/65/15: Coverage up to $65,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $15,000 coverage for property damage
The state of Utah requires vehicle owners to carry auto insurance coverage that meets or exceeds these state-mandated minimums. These requirements are intended to provide you with sufficient financial protection if you are responsible for a vehicular collision. Unfortunately, serious accidents involving significant injuries that require extensive or long-term medical care can easily exceed these coverage limits, so you may want to purchase your coverage with higher liability limits in order to protect your personal assets, such as your home. Your agent can help you review the cost for different levels of coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Utah
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 12.6%
- Number of uninsured Utah drivers: 5.8%
It is a Class B misdemeanor to drive an uninsured automobile in Utah. If you are caught doing so, you may be subjected to a fine of no less than $400 for your first offense and no less than $1,000 future offenses that occur within three years of the previous offense. Furthermore, your driver’s license can be suspended until you provide proof of coverage and pay a reinstatement fee of $100.
If an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision that causes you or your passengers property damage or injuries, you may find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to collect reimbursement for your losses. Unless, that is, your South Jordan auto insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage. If your policy includes this optional coverage, your insurance company provides the necessary compensation upfront and then attempts to collect funds from the offending driver on their own behalf. This insurance also covers damage and injuries when they are caused by hit-and-run drivers.
Number of Auto Thefts in Utah
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Utah number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 3.13
The rate of car theft in the state of Utah is higher than the national average, but it is lower in the city of South Jordan. In recent years, there were only 73 auto thefts reported in this city. That equates to about 1.16 car thefts per 1,000 vehicles — about one-third the national rate. If your car is stolen or damaged by vandals, your insurance company provides compensation only if your policy includes other-than-collision (or comprehensive) insurance.
This optional insurance covers damage caused by a number of noncollision-related events, such as theft, vandalism, falling objects, floods, fires, and earthquakes. If you are still paying for your vehicle, you likely carry comprehensive coverage already because most lenders require that you have it until your car loan is paid in full.
Find a South Jordan Car Insurance Policy
There is no reason why you should be paying more than you have to for your car insurance. If you are looking for an affordable South Jordan auto insurance policy that will provide dependable coverage for you and your family, you can benefit from working with an agent. They can work with several highly rated insurance companies to gather policies and costs that you can compare together. That way, it is easy to choose the policy that offers you the best value for your hard-earned money. There are several local agents located throughout the state of Utah, and some can be found in and near the city of South Jordan.
Contact an agent with an office conveniently close to you to learn more about your coverage options, and discover how easy it can be to compare customized South Jordan car insurance quotes.