Newport, VA, a community just south of the Sinking Creek Valley Cluster and southeast of the Mountain Lake Wilderness Cluster, is one of the most scenic valleys in Virginia. Newport businesses provide more than just goods and services; they play a particularly important role in the community and local economy. For example, business insurance can help your company remain profitable during difficult times.
Working with a local independent insurance agent, you can build a comprehensive business insurance policy package for your Newport, VA, business. Independent agents in Newport can help by identifying your business’s risks and recommending the appropriate coverage to insure them.
Why Do Businesses in Newport, VA, Need Business Liability Insurance?
Designed to cover your business’s court costs, legal fees, and financial losses, business liability insurance is one of the most important aspects of every commercial insurance policy package. However, even if the courts rule in your favor, these costs can grow exceptionally large.
What Are the Mandatory Business Insurance Requirements for Newport, VA
The state of Virginia requires anyone who employs three or more people, full- or part-time, to carry workers' compensation insurance.
Partners and sole proprietors who do not have employees are not required to carry workers' compensation. Members of a LLC company are also exempt, as well as corporate officers who choose to reject coverage for mishaps but not for occupational illnesses.
Virginia also requires all drivers to carry minimum car insurance. If you use your car or truck for business, it is recommended that you purchase a commercial vehicle policy.
What Are the Optional Business Insurance Requirements for Newport, VA
- Employee disability insurance: This is provided if an employee is disabled and cannot work. Disability insurance delivers wage alternate benefits that cover up to 60% of an employee’s earnings, and these payments usually have a maximum monthly payout.
- Professional liability insurance: Also known as errors and omissions insurance, this insurance helps protect your business from risks not typically covered by your general commercial liability policy. Professional liability insurance is a businessperson’s version of the malpractice insurance taken out by medical practitioners and lawyers.
- Commercial property insurance: This protects your business against damage to buildings and their contents from fire, theft, and other hazards. Typically, commercial property insurance covers the following:
- Buildings you own or lease
- Business property on premises
- Personal property of others in your business’ custody or care.
- Premises liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage that occur due to an accident on your business property.
- Product liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries, illnesses and property damage caused by defects in products your business produces, promotes, or sells.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This protects businesses from claims by workers who feel that their legal rights as employees were violated.
- Cyber liability insurance: This covers against financial losses and liabilities if hackers access your computer systems and steal sensitive customer data.
- Pollution liability insurance: This covers cleanup costs and damage if your business is responsible for an accident that leads to the pollution of the air, ground, or water.
- Commercial vehicle liability insurance: This is required by law if your business owns and operates vehicles. It covers your company’s increased liability risks if one of your drivers causes an accident that results in third-party injuries or damage.
You can learn more about these and many other commercial liability coverage options by consulting a local independent insurance agent. Your agent can recommend all the business liability products appropriate for your Newport, VA, business.
You should also be aware that commercial property insurance does not cover flood damage, even if the flood is the direct result of a covered hurricane.
Businesses located near waterways like the Shenandoah River are most at risk. However, when heavy rains fall, flash flooding can happen almost anywhere so commercial flood insurance is recommended for most businesses.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Is Business Interruption Insurance a Good Idea in Newport, VA?
If your business suffers property losses that cause it to slow or close while repairs are made, business interruption insurance is essential. This could be a complete or partial income loss depending on the damage and time frame. From the time of the loss until your business is up and running again, business interruption insurance can replace lost wages and provide a source of income to pay your necessary continuing expenses, such as payroll, rent, and taxes.
When you have business interruption insurance, your business can afford to pay regular monthly expenses such as employee wages, loan payments, and utility costs, even though your business is temporarily unable to generate revenue. Talk to your local independent insurance agent today to learn more.
Do Businesses in Newport, VA, Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?
Insurance companies created workers’ compensation insurance to provide benefits to injured workers while at work. It also provides employers with protection from job-related civil suits. Virginia state law requires employers with three or more employees to carry workers’ compensation insurance.
- Coverage requirements
- Workers’ compensation law includes immigrants, part-time, seasonal, temporary, minors, trainees, and family members.
- Employers who hire subcontractors will need to count and include the total number of employees to consider when coverage is required. If the total number of employees plus subcontractors is more than two, employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance.
Workers’ compensation insurance rates are based primarily on the types of jobs employees do and the probability that they will be injured on the job. For example, it would cost more to insure a stunt driver than to cover a manager at a retail store.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Newport, VA?
Working with local independent insurance agents allow insurance companies to fully customize your business insurance coverage options according to your own specific risks and exposures. An independent agent can make shopping for coverage easy by offering guidance and helping you find the best and most affordable policies to cover your business.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.