If you live in The Mother of States, or are thinking of relocating to Virginia, you probably have a car you need to insure. Finding the right policy for your needs and budget might take some research. You’ll want to make sure you’re meeting state mandated liability limits, that you’re protecting your investment in your vehicle, and most of all, that you’re protecting your family and your future.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Virginia Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- Virginia average cost per year: $1,114
- 44th most expensive premiums in the US
The most recent information available as of 2017 shows that Virginia average premium costs are $1,114, which is lower than the national average. This figure is an approximation of your possible costs. Insurance companies look at many things when they offer you a quote. They’ll evaluate your risk factors based on:
- Your age, experience, and driving record
- Where you live (ZIP code)
- The make, model, and year of your car
Insurers may also take into account your marital status, how often you’ve filed claims previously, and a host of other factors. Each insurer will measure these risks differently and will offer you premiums based on their unique calculations. For this reason, it’s important that you take time to shop around for the best Virginia car insurance – and an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help make that shopping easy.
Virginia Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- compulsory to buy insurance or pay an Uninsured Motorists Vehicle (UMV) fee to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/20
- Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $20,000 coverage for property damage.
The state requires you to purchase a Virginia car insurance policy with
fairly broad liability limits. If you violate this law, you will risk
getting your driver’s license and vehicle registration suspended.
Virginia Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Virginia uninsured motorists: 10.1%
- Virginia average vehicle repair cost: $1,857
The number of Virginians driving without the required insurance is below the national average, but it is still in the double digits. Virginia law requires uninsured motorist coverage, so legally insured drivers will have protection if they are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.
With uninsured motorist coverage, you’ll be reimbursed through your insurance company for any damage caused to your vehicle by an uninsured driver . This coverage does not let uninsured drivers off the hook; they are still liable for damages and injuries they cause. Your insurer may then attempt to collect from the uninsured driver after the fact – but you will not be responsible for collecting payment on your own.
Thefts in Virginia
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Virginia car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 1.31
The car theft rate in Virginia is below the national average. Urban areas tend to be more risky for car theft than small towns and rural areas. To protect your own vehicle, always be aware of where you park, lock your car, and store valuables out of sight. Protect yourself from thefts you can’t prevent with a comprehensive auto policy that has a theft portion to reimburse you if your car is stolen.
Find Virginia Car Insurance Deals Today
A local, independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you compare Virginia auto insurance quotes from a variety of competing companies.
Your local agent can save you time and help you make the right choice for your family.