With yearly art festivals, cultural museums, and the university, Norfolk roads tend to be quite busy with residents and out-of-town drivers. You’ll want a solid car insurance policy to protect yourself against drivers who may be unfamiliar with the roads.
An independent insurance agent can help start your search. They’ll comparison shop for you and find you an affordable price. Chat with an agent to get started.
Vehicle Theft Rate in Norfolk, VA
It’s no surprise that the theft rate in Norfolk can impact your insurance premiums. The higher the crime rate in your city, the more your rate will be. The average theft rate per 100,000 vehicles:
- National average: 274.0
- Norfolk average: 322.5
The city has an above-average rate than the national standard, which may mean your rate might be a bit higher. An independent insurance agent knows the area and can help get an affordable premium.
What auto insurance coverage do you need in Norfolk, VA?
Virginia has a minimum requirement that all drivers most hold. If you are caught without insurance you may face a huge fine or even jail time.
Car Insurance requirements:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person
- $50,000 for total bodily injury or death liability
- $20,000 for property damage per accident
Your liability will cover the accident up to a limit, but you’ll be responsible for covering the rest. You may want to purchase additional coverage to be adequately protected.
Additional Coverage Options in Norfolk, VA
- Comprehensive car insurance: this will pay for any damage to your vehicle caused by something such as debris hitting your windshield, theft, or if you accidentally hit an animal.
- Roadside assistance: if you run out of gas on the side of the road, or need a towing, this will cover the costs for help.
- Collision coverage: if you get into a collision with another car, this will pay for the damage.
- Commercial auto policy: if you work for a rideshare business, your regular auto insurance won’t cover damage caused due to transporting people, or goods. This commercial policy will make sure that you are financially covered if an accident happens while your driving on the clock.
How much does car insurance cost in Norfolk, VA?
Well, this is going to depend on specific factors about you, your car and the car insurance policy that you select. Insurers are going to look at characteristics like:
- Your credit score
- Your experience as a driver
- Year, make, model, and value of the car
- Crime rates in Norfolk and your neighborhood
- Car insurance discounts that you may qualify for
- The amount of coverage you select
Overall, Virginia has one of the lowest premium rates for car insurance. Due to the low crime rate, and average weather, there tend to be fewer claims made.
- National yearly average for car insurance: $1,555
- Norfolk yearly average for car insurance: $1,057
An independent insurance agent will do the comparison shopping for you. They’ll find an affordable price with the coverage you’re looking for.
What about uninsured drivers in Norfolk, VA?
National average of uninsured motorist: 13%
Virginia average of uninsured motorist: 10%
Even if the state’s rate is lower than the national average, uninsured drivers are everywhere. If you find yourself in a collision with a driver with no insurance, it may take much longer to receive your reimbursement.
Protect your family and your finances with uninsured motorist coverage. This will pick up the medical and property damage expenses, that way you won’t have to worry about poor-judgment drivers.
Why is an independent insurance agent the best option in Norfolk, VA?
A Norfolk independent agent will get to know, and what you’re looking for. They aren’t tied down to one insurer, so they’ll comparison shop and find you an affordable policy with the coverage you’re looking for. This will save you both time and money since they are doing the work for you. Contact an agent to get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.