Washington DC may be the urban center of the east coast, but that doesn't mean its residents don't enjoy a little ATV off-roading fun. DC is within driving distance of some of the best ATV trails and parks in the nation, including the Washington and Jefferson national forests, the Assateague Island Beach (one of the few beaches opened to ATVs), and the Potomac-Garrett State Forest. Whether you ride your ATV every chance you can, or only use it a few weekends a month and during the summer, only a comprehensive ATV insurance policy can protect you from the dangers on and off road.
Before you search for ATV insurance quotes, however, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
ATV Accident Statistics
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Since hitting the markets in 1985, ATV accidents cause an average of 250 deaths of riders and bystanders each year.
- More than 110,000 emergency room visits each year are attributable to ATV crashes and accidents.
- About 30 percent of ATV related deaths and injuries are sustained by riders age 16 and younger.
- ATV injuries are most common in white men aged 18 to 30 years; they usually occur in rural areas, and 80 percent of injuries are to the driver rather than to a passenger.
Washington, DC ATV Laws
There is only one law on the Washington, DC books concerning ATVs, dirt bikes, three-wheelers, four-wheelers and any other manner of off-road vehicles: You can't drive them on city streets.
As a Washington, DC resident, you are most likely aware of the prohibition of riding your ATV around Capitol Hill and are perfectly fine with that. The great open spaces of Virginia and Maryland may be more to your taste anyhow. Wherever you ride your ATV, it's a good idea to research the local and state laws concerning the proper operation of your vehicle.
Why Is ATV Insurance Important?
ATVs are versatile, fast and empowering. The features that make them so fun to ride on trails and off-road near Washington, DC also make them extremely dangerous to operate. Even the most seasoned off-roaders can find themselves in danger when equipment malfunctions or another rider with less riding experience comes crashing through the trails.
With such high risks to injury, it's a good idea to carry insurance coverage that will help pay the costs of treatment for you or another injured rider or passenger.
Chances are, you have also invested quite a chunk of money in your ATV. Proper insurance protection can mean the difference between making swift repairs to your damaged ATV and having your off-roading dreams parked indefinitely following an accident.
What Does ATV Insurance Cover?
Most Washington, DC insurance providers will give you several options to choose from when you consider a policy on your ATV. Your choices may include:
- Liability coverage will cover any costs associated with an accident, including bodily injury and property damage. It will also assist you with legal fees should you face a lawsuit as a result of operating your ATV.
- Collision coverage will reimburse you for damages to your ATV after an accident to keep it in off-road condition.
- Comprehensive coverage will protect you if your ATV is damaged by a severe weather event, fire, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will cover your repair or medical costs if another rider is at fault in an accident and doesn't carry insurance.
ATV insurance is usually available for these common types of ATVs and more:
- Dirt bike
What Will My ATV Insurance Quote Look Like?
Washington, DC insurance providers will use a variety of factors when calculating your ATV insurance quote, including:
- Age of covered riders
- The type and power of your ATV
- The ATV's top speed
- How often you ride
- Where you ride
- Where you keep it when not riding
These are just a few of the factors that go into determining policy rate quotes, and some Washington, DC insurance companies may ask you far more questions. Some, however, will offer discounts to your quote if the following circumstances apply to you:
- Multi-policy discounts
- Clean driving record discounts
- Making a one-time annual payment
- Completing an ATV safety course
- Installing an anti-theft device
ATV insurance is usually very affordable for those looking to protect their ATV with an insurance policy. It's always a good idea to compare multiple quotes from a variety of companies to find the best deal.
Where Can I Find ATV Insurance Quotes?
Off-roading on your ATV can be all the more enjoyable without having to worry if your costs are covered in the event of a crash or injury. Knowledgeable independent insurance agents on the Trusted Choice® network are always here to help answer any questions you have, suggest coverage options for your ATV, and even assist you in filing a claim should your ATV be damaged or stolen.
Contact a Trusted Choice agent near you to find out how you can start off-roading with ease, knowing your ATV is protected with an insurance policy.