Washington, DC is home to some very influential motorcycling supporters. In 1987, motorcyclists across the DC area created the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, which is a nationwide foundation helping to protect motorcyclists' rights. The District of Columbia is very motorcycle-friendly, constantly working to keep motorcyclists protected and safe on the road. One of this group's main goals is to create a motorcycle safety awareness month, with a focus on rider safety programs, impaired driving awareness and promotion of "Share the Road" programs.
While promoting attention to motorcycling is important, it's also important to pay attention to motorcycle safety. And when you have an accident, just like a helmet, motorcycle insurance is there to protect you and lessen the impact of the collision. Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our search engine will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- The majority of motorcycle accidents involve mid-size sport bikes.
- The cost of motorcycle accidents averages $12 million per year.
- In 2010, more than 50 percent of people killed in motorcycle crashes were 40 or older.
Motorcycles are fun. From dirt bikes to large choppers, there is a motorcycle for every rider. There is also an insurance policy tailor-made for each rider. Every state requires motorcycle insurance for those that prefer to take to the road on two wheels versus four, and it's no secret that every rider has different needs for coverage. Having a motorcycle insurance policy to cover you and your motorcycle in Washington, DC is part of being a responsible rider.
What Is Motorcycle Insurance in Washington DC?
Motorcycle insurance consists of insurance policies designed to cover you in the case of an accident, damage or injury. A typical motorcycle insurance policy in Washington, DC may consist of the following options:
- Property liability insurance: This insurance is legally required. If you cause an accident, you are liable for the damage you caused. This insurance will cover the damage.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: If an accident results in injuries that require medical attention, bodily injury will cover those payments.
- Collision: This insurance will cover the damage to your motorcycle stemming from an accident.
- Medical payments: If you suffer injuries in an accident, this insurance will cover your medical payments.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive insurance is there to cover "everything other than collision." This includes scratches, theft, fire, storm damage and vandalism.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist: Unfortunately, not everyone carries vehicle insurance – which is against the law. If you are in an accident with someone who does not carry insurance, this coverage will work to repair your motorcycle when the uninsured motorist can't.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage will help you if you ever find yourself stranded or needing a tow, tire or roadside assistance.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Insurance Is Required in Washington, DC?
The legal minimums in Washington, DC are the following:
- $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident in personal injury protection
- $10,000 per accident for property damage
- $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and $5,000 per accident for uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage
While these are the legal minimums, even a small accident can exceed these policy limits. In this litigious society, even a small fender bender can end up costing $60,000. When looking for motorcycle insurance in Washington, DC, make sure you consider the expenses involved with an accident and get a policy that covers more than the legal minimum. If an accident that exceeds your policy limits occurs, you will be paying out of pocket for any additional expenses.
What Types of Motorcycles Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Insurance companies realize that there are many different types of motorcycles on the road. Here is a basic list of motorcycle types that you can cover with motorcycle insurance in Washington, DC:
- Dirt bikes
- Custom motorcycles
This is not a complete list. If you own a motorcycle not on this list, there is a policy available for it.
What Are Motorcycle Insurance Quotes Line in Washington, DC?
There is no exact figure for the average cost of motorcycle insurance in Washington, DC; however, averages range between $100 and $400 annually. Your individual quotes may be more, depending on a myriad of factors. When getting quotes for motorcycle insurance, be sure to have the following information ready:
- Make/model of motorcycle
- Year motorcycle was built
- Average miles driven per year
- Your driving record
- History of claims
- Whether you will have passengers/any other drivers
- Whether there is a security system installed on the motorcycle
- Your credit score
- Any additions/modifications
Insurance companies consider all of these factors when giving you quotes for motorcycle insurance in Washington, DC.
Are There Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance?
There are typically many discounts available on motorcycle insurance policies. Be sure to ask about any available discounts, including the following:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Good driver discount
- Claims-free discount
- Educator discount
- Military discount
- Industry affiliation discount
- Group/Club affiliation discount
- Lay-up discount (If you only use your bike during spring/summer)
You may be eligible for any number of these discounts and more depending on your individual situation. Always ask your agent about discounts you may be eligible for.
How Do You Get Motorcycle Insurance in Washington, DC?
To get the best coverage for yourself and your motorcycle, you need to have a professional on your side, one familiar with your lifestyle. A TrustedChoice.com agent is always available to help you get the best coverage at the best price. Your agent can answer questions, suggest coverage options and even help you file a claim.
Talk with an independent agent for quotes and more information on getting motorcycle insurance.