Washington, DC car insurance rates are higher than the national average. This densely populated urban area has many cars on the road, making accidents and theft more likely than in more remote, rural communities. During the work week, the population and number of vehicles grows as many commuters drive in from surrounding communities.
A Trusted Choice® member agent can help you compare Washington, DC auto insurance quotes to find the best policy for your needs and budget. Get started finding the best rates in all of DC by contacting a member agent today.
Washington, DC Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- District of Columbia average cost per year: $2,174
- The 4th most expensive premiums in the US
The population density in the Washington, DC plays a big part in the relatively high rate that residents pay for car insurance. The average amount simply gives you a ballpark idea of your auto insurance costs – the only way to truly know what your premium will cost is by getting a quote from a reputable insurer.
Independent agents are happy to provide you several competitive quotes for you to choose from, and in just one phone call, you could be on your way to big savings on your Washington, DC auto insurance.
District of Columbia Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist: required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/10
- Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $10,000 coverage for property damage.
DC laws require a fairly broad selection of minimum coverage in order to operate a vehicle legally. If vehicle owners are caught without coverage, they may get a $300 to $500 fine for a first offense. Subsequent offenses could earn higher fines and possible jail time.
District of Columbia Uninsured Motorists Data
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- District of Columbia uninsured motorists: 11.9%
- District of Columbia average vehicle repair cost: $1,644
The number of uninsured motorists in Washington, DC is slightly lower the national average. Drivers without insurance are still liable for any damages or injuries from accidents they cause.
Washington, DC does require legal drivers to carry uninsured motorist insurance. This policy option helps accident victims recoup their losses faster because they can collect damages from their own insurance company. The insurer, in turn, will try to recover losses from the at-fault driver.
Thefts in Washington, DC
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.49
- District of Columbia car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 11.51
There is a very high car theft rate in Washington, DC. Law enforcement officials warn drivers to use judgment when driving here, including:
- Never leaving your car unlocked
- Never leaving your car running and unattended
- Never leaving valuables inside your car
- Never leaving a spare set of keys in your car
- Parking in an attended, well lit area whenever possible
The other measure you can take to prevent major loss from a car theft is purchasing comprehensive Washington, DC car insurance. The theft portion of your policy will help you recoup financially and get back on the road faster.
Find Washington, DC Car Insurance
Finding the right Washington, DC auto insurance policy can be a challenge. If you shop around online, you will find yourself entering your personal data over and over again, and fielding lots of sales calls after the fact.
An independent agent is an excellent resource when you’re shopping for the best insurance in DC. You can find a local, independent Trusted Choice network member agent to help you compare Washington, DC auto insurance quotes and select the right coverage. Contact a local independent agent today to get started on your way to amazing savings on auto insurance.