Mobile homes are becoming increasingly popular, as baby boomers age and relocate to a smaller living space. Additionally, they cost less than a traditional home, and also offer the owner the option of moving quite easily. Unfortunately, these homes also fall victim to fires much more frequently than traditional homes, and they also do not fare well during the severe weather that Washington, DC can fall victim to.
Whether your home is a mobile home, also called a manufactured home or a modular home, you can get insurance to protect your financial investment and your assets from risks such as fire, wind, rain, and theft. Insurance is just as important in these homes as on traditional homes. Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our search engine will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Mobile Home Statistics
- Over 10 million people live in mobile homes.
- Yearly, over 22,000 fires happen in mobile homes, killing 500 people and injuring 1,000.
- Between 2007-2011, fires caused $179 million in property damage.
Mobile homes are a very viable option for many Washington, D.C. residents, although many believe that they cannot be insured. There are many types of insurance policies available for mobile homeowners that can help protect you and your family from financial losses when disasters take place.
What Is Mobile Home Insurance in Washington, DC?
Mobile homes, or manufactured homes, have traditional insurance options available to them. A typical mobile home insurance policy may include the following:
- Liability: Unfortunately, accidents happen. If an accident happens in your mobile home, you may be held liable -- especially if the accident stems from negligence. This insurance can help pay for your legal defense as well as property damage and bodily injury treatment payments for third parties.
- Property damage: If your mobile home is damaged or destroyed due to a covered event, such as fire, wind, or rain, you will be reimbursed up to the coverage limit.
- Personal property: Unfortunately, statistics prove that mobile homes have higher break-in rates. With personal property insurance, your personal possessions are covered from loss in case of theft, arson, wind or other covered event.
- Medical payments: If someone is injured on your property, you can be held liable for their medical treatment. This coverage will help pay those costs.
Even small storms, or a small injury, can add up to big financial damages. With a mobile home policy in place, you can have peace of mind that you are protected from financial hardships, no matter what happens.
What's the Difference Between a Mobile and a Modular Home?
Mobile homes, also known as manufactured homes, and modular homes are insured differently. A mobile home is made in a factory and is shipped, whole, to the purchaser.
A modular home, on the other hand, is assembled in pieces and delivered piece by piece to the site, and then built on a foundation. The materials that are used to construct a modular home are more durable, similar to those of a traditional home. Additionally, modular construction must comply with local and national building codes.
Since mobile homes cannot be moved and are affixed to a foundation, they are insured similarly to traditional homes. Mobile homes, however, are insured similarly to automobiles, since not only do these vehicles depreciate, but they are also easily movable.
How Much Does a Mobile Home Insurance Quote Cost in Washington, DC?
There is no strict quote price for mobile home insurance. It's important to be familiar with the following in order to get an accurate quotes:
- Age of home
- Size of home
- Building materials
- If smoke detectors are installed
- If home has a security system
- If home will be moved
- Value of assets
- Coverage desired
- Deductible desired
All of these factors will go into calculating a quote that meets your needs.
How to Get Mobile Home Insurance in Washington, DC
Insuring your home is important, whether it's a mobile home, manufactured home, or traditional home. Having a professional by your side to make sure you get the right policy for your particular situation is crucial. A TrustedChoice.com agent is always available to help discuss coverage options, suggest policies, or even help you file a claim.
Talk with an independent agent near you to get started.