The hundreds of businesses in Cody, WY range from those that cater to this city’s many tourists to furniture manufacturing plants to small companies run out of people’s homes. Each plays a vital role in the health of the local economy. Business insurance helps these companies stay profitable in times of trouble.
Independent agents can help you find the best and most affordable commercial insurance products to cover your company against all potential risks. Find an independent insurance agent near you to discover how easy it can be to build a good business insurance policy package.
Is Business Insurance Required in Cody, WY?
Wyoming law does not require business owners to carry a business insurance policy. However, there are instances when certain types of commercial insurance coverage may be needed. For instance:
- If you apply for a business loan or commercial mortgage, your lender may require you to carry business insurance coverage until it is paid off.
- If you are a contractor, prospective clients may ask for proof of liability insurance before they will consider you for a job on their property.
- If your business owns and operates vehicles, Wyoming requires you to cover them with commercial vehicle insurance.
- In most cases, if your business has employees, the state requires you to cover them with workers’ compensation insurance.
Even if you don’t need to carry it, business insurance is beneficial because it has the potential to save your company from bankruptcy if it faces a hardship like a liability lawsuit, a natural disaster, or a forced temporary closure.
How Much Does Business Insurance Cost in Cody, WY?
The cost of a business insurance policy can vary significantly from one company to the next because insurance companies base their premiums on several factors like:
- The type of company you own, how long it has been in business, and the industry in which it operates
- Your company’s expected annual revenues
- The number of people you employ and the kinds of jobs they do
- The value of your company’s property and other assets
- Your company’s liability exposures
- Whether your business owns and operates motor vehicles
- The crime rate and weather risks where your business is located
To find out how much coverage will cost for your business in Cody, you can contact a few competing insurance companies to request customized quotes.
Comparing rates lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
What Does Business Insurance Cover in Cody, WY?
If you own a small company with few liability risks, a business owners policy (BOP) may be able to provide all the coverage it needs. If you own a mid-sized company or small company with complex coverage needs, you will probably need to cover it with a standard business insurance policy.
When you purchase a BOP, you can expect your coverage to include:
- General liability insurance: This can cover your company against many of the most common liability lawsuits businesses face.
- Commercial property insurance: This can cover the costs related to loss or damage to your company’s property and other assets.
- Business interruption insurance: This can shield your company from revenue losses caused by certain forced temporary closures
If you purchase a business insurance policy instead, you can build it up with any types of coverage that are appropriate to your business.
What Does Small Business Liability Insurance Cover in Cody, WY?
No business is too small to be sued. Commercial liability insurance products are designed to cover expenses like legal fees, court costs, mediation costs, settlements, and judgments if your company faces a liability lawsuit.
All BOPs and business insurance policies include general liability insurance as a standard part of their coverage. General liability insurance is designed to cover some of the most common liability risks businesses face. It includes:
- Premises liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries and property damage resulting from accidents on your business premises.
- Product liability insurance: This covers third-party injuries, illnesses, and property damage caused by defects in products your business produces or sells.
- Media liability insurance: This covers accusations of marketing missteps like copyright violations, deceptive pricing, and false advertising.
- Coverage against accusations of libel or slander
General liability insurance is not always sufficient to cover your business against all potential liability risks. An independent agent can help you identify your company’s liability exposures and can recommend suitable commercial liability products to protect against them.
Some of the commercial liability policies frequently purchased by business owners in the Cody area include:
- Errors and omissions insurance (E&O): This covers your business and the people who work for you if professional errors like negligent acts, inadequate work, or missed deadlines cause your clients to experience financial loss or other harm.
- Employment practices liability insurance (EPLI): This covers your business against accusations of illegal employment practices like harassment, discrimination, retaliation, failure to promote, and wrongful termination.
- Cyber liability insurance: This covers your business’s financial obligations to affected individuals if cybercriminals break into your company’s computer system and access personal, financial, or other sensitive data.
- Environmental impairment insurance: This covers clean-up costs, damage, and other liabilities related to the accidental pollution of the land, air, or water by toxic substances used, produced, or sold by your business.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: This can shield your company from potential liability lawsuits if a worker is hurt on the job or develops an occupational illness due to exposure to toxins at the workplace. It pays for your injured employees’ medical care, lost wages, and related financial losses.
These are just a few of the many business liability insurance products available. Your insurance agent can help you determine whether these or any others are a good fit for your company in Cody.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Does Business Insurance Cover Your Company’s Property in Cody, WY?
Commercial property insurance covers repair or replacement costs if your business-owned property is damaged or destroyed by a covered event. Covered hazards include:
- Fires: This includes damage caused by accidental fires, wildfires, and explosions. It also covers damage caused by flames, smoke, and firefighting efforts.
- Property crimes: This includes crimes like shoplifting, theft, and vandalism.
- Falling objects: This includes hazards like hailstones and uprooted trees.
- Water damage: Except when caused by floods.
- Severe weather events: This includes things like windstorms, thunderstorms, lightning strikes, heavy snow, and prolonged freezing temperatures.
Commercial property insurance covers a lot, but it has some limitations. That is why some business owners in Cody opt to purchase supplemental property coverage. Some products you may want to consider for your business include:
- Inland marine insurance: This covers your company’s portable property while it is being transported over land and when it is located away from your place of business, such as at a job site or in a warehouse.
- Flood insurance: Commercial property insurance does not cover flood damage. Fortunately, only around 3% of properties in Cody are at significant risk of sustaining serious flood damage over the next 30 years. If your business is among them, you may want to consider purchasing commercial flood insurance.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This can cover the cost of repairing or replacing your company’s well-maintained essential equipment if it malfunctions. It can also cover revenue losses caused by the breakdown.
- Bailee’s insurance: This covers your customer’s property when it is in your business’s custody, care, or control. It can prove beneficial if your company provides valet parking, maintenance, alterations, or repair services.
Independent insurance agents live and work in your community, so they know the risks you face as a business owner in Cody and can help you be sure that your business property is suitably covered against them.
How Can Companies in Cody, WY Benefit from Having Business Interruption Insurance?
Business interruption insurance is designed to protect your company against financial losses if damage caused by a covered event forces your business to shut down for an extended time.
The good news is that Cody has a very low risk for catastrophic weather events like tornadoes and large, damaging hail. However, businesses in this city do risk facing excessive damage caused by accidental fires, wildfires, and high wind.
If your business must endure a long-term closure to make repairs after a covered disaster, business interruption insurance can compensate it for lost revenue so you can continue paying regular expenses like rent, loan payments, bills, and employee payroll.
Business interruption insurance coverage can continue until your business can resume normal operations.
Can Independent Insurance Agents in Cody, WY Help Find Products for Employee Benefits?
Offering your workers excellent benefits can give your business a competitive edge when trying to recruit and retain some of the area’s most qualified employees.
When you are building an employee benefits package, a local independent agent can help you find suitable:
- Group health insurance plans
- Group dental insurance plans
- Group vision insurance plans
- Group life insurance plans
- Simplified employee benefits plans (SEPs)
Your agent can also ensure that the health insurance coverage you purchase for your employees is accepted by many local doctors and some of the area’s best medical facilities, like West Park Hospital and Cody Regional Health. That way, your employees and their families can easily obtain care when needed.
What Are the Best Business Insurance Companies in Cody, WY?
The most highly rated insurance companies in Cody are those that have demonstrated a solid track record of providing exceptional customer service, reliable coverage, and affordable prices.
Local independent insurance agents have teamed up with some of the best business insurance companies in Wyoming. This means you can be confident that any policies your agent recommends to you are offered by insurance providers you can rely on if you need to file a claim.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Business Owners in Cody, WY?
Local independent agents understand the risks that small business owners face in Cody. These knowledgeable agents can perform a complete risk assessment of your company and recommend the right commercial insurance products to cover against each identified exposure.
Because independent agents are free to work with multiple insurers, they can shop around to find the policies you want at the most affordable prices. Contact an independent insurance agent near you when you are ready to start comparing customized business insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.