San Francisco lies at the tip of a peninsula midway up the coastline of northern California. The Pacific Ocean, San Francisco Bay, and the Golden Gate Straight surround the city on three sides. Aside from the city’s famous cable cars and ethnic communities, San Francisco is also the gateway to Silicon Valley.
San Francisco is called the “air-conditioned” city because the Pacific Ocean maintains a climate ranging from 45-75 degrees for most of the year. Perhaps the most unique feature of the local climate are the banks of fog rolling in off the Pacific Ocean, covering the city, which disappear as quick as they roll in.
Although the region’s climate changes depending on your location, severe weather is rare. Nevertheless, that does not mean you are safe in terms of purchasing homeowners liability insurance. Potential hazards that you should be aware of include the following:
- Fire, especially under the current fire conditions in CA
- Flooding, as burned vegetation can no longer hold soil together
- Landslides, because of the flooding
No matter if you are lifelong inhabitant of San Francisco, or you transferred here to take a manager’s position in the retail industry, if you recently purchased a home, you may find a dependable homeowners insurance policy to be essential.
A local independent insurance agent can find you the best moderately priced homeowners insurance coverage for your San Francisco home. Contact a local insurance agent near you today to learn more, and you can shortly start comparing tailored homeowners insurance quotes from an array of extremely valued financiers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in San Francisco, CA?
California’s average cost of homeowners insurance is lower than the national average. Yet, when you compare homeowners insurance, you most likely can save hundreds of dollars each year.
- National average yearly premium: $2,305
- CA average yearly premium: $1,166
As actual homeowners insurance varies from one homeowner to another, averages can only give a general idea of what you might pay for homeowners insurance in San Francisco. This happens because insurance companies quote their rates on an individual basis according to a few different factors which include the following:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The type of house you are insuring
- The number of stories in your house
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your region
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners insurance coverage with another policy such as life insurance or car insurance
Looking over several quotes allows you to select the homeowners policy that offers the best coverage at the most economical insurance rate for your home. Local independent insurance agents in San Francisco make shopping for homeowners insurance a breeze.
Does San Francisco Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
As a property owner in San Francisco, your homeowners insurance policy is intended to cover you against many hazards, which include a sizeable range of catastrophic events that could take place such as wildland fires, flooding, and mudslides. In the event of a disaster, making sure your coverage limits are good enough to cover the repair or rebuilding of your home is necessary.
Catastrophic Events in CA:
- Number of federally declared disasters in CA since 1953: 330
- Most common reasons for disasters in CA: Fire, flooding, water damage, earthquakes, and severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in CA: 11
- Average amount of property damage per year in CA: $4,158,620,000
Residents of San Francisco are most at risk for destruction triggered by fires, flooding, earthquakes, and severe storms. Conveniently, homeowners insurance policies cover most of these risks. However, it is vital you know flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance even if the flood is the result of a storm that is covered.
The most at peril for flood damage are inhabitants near waterways such as the Pacific Ocean. However, when heavy rain falls, flash flooding can happen almost anywhere. Fortunately, a local independent insurance agent can assist you boost your insurance coverage with a flood damage policy.
Why Do San Francisco, CA, Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Anytime you own a piece of property, civil lawsuits can happen to all sorts of people, and the expenses can become extremely expensive. Your homeowners insurance provides you with personal liability coverage for this reason. Homeowners insurance is designed to cover costs occurring from a civil suit and can safeguard you from financial devastation should an unpleasant incident take place.
Following are a few instances of circumstances in which homeowners liability insurance coverage can protect you:
- A rancher loses his iPhone while attending the birth of a goat
- Your neighbor’s kid gets hit by a coconut in your yard while spying on your daughter
- A robber suffers from mental anguish due to a defective garage door opener and sues you
- Bats have taken up residence in your new attic and refuse to leave
Are you looking for higher liability limits? If so, your local independent insurance agent can also help you out and procure an inexpensive umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is a cost-effective way to expand your liability insurance coverage options.
Does San Francisco, CA, Homeowners Insurance Cover against Property Crimes?
The burglary rate in CA, and in San Francisco in particular, is higher than the national average. This is not to say it is all bad. In the last five years, San Francisco has seen a decrease in violent crime and a decrease in property crime.
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in CA: 416
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in San Francisco: 465, which is 1.7 times greater than the US average.
Being the focus of a property crime is disturbing enough if your San Francisco home is broken into. However, it may help to know your homeowners insurance policy offers reparation for your losses, as well as property damage caused by the burglars.
Many insurance companies will offer you discounts based on whether or not you have a home security system installed in your home. A local independent insurance agent can assist you in finding all the potential discounts for which you may qualify.
Does San Francisco, CA, Have Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
If you own a second home or vacation home in a warmer climate or you have a rental house you rent to older couples, you will want to make sure to cover all of your houses with an suitable home insurance policy.
Homes not serving as your primary residence frequently have further risks that insurance companies take into consideration. Occasionally, this will mean that you must purchase a specialized insurance product.
- Second homes occupied by renters have higher liability and property damage risks. These homes require a specialized insurance coverage offered as landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes left unused for extended periods during the course of the year have an increased risk of break-ins and property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is empty.
A local independent insurance agent can help out in reviewing the coverage needs of all your residential homes and can aid you in finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with a Local Independent Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA?
You can rest assured you are receiving reliable advice as you shop for coverage on your San Francisco property and the best way to find help is to work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents go to work for you, they do not work for a specific insurance company.
Local independent insurance agents in San Francisco, CA, are ready to aid you now. Contact a local independent insurance agent near you to start comparing personalized homeowners insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.