California is home to some of the most beautiful drives in the country. For instance, motorcyclists flock to Highway 101 to enjoy the beautiful panoramic views of the ocean. There are a number of motorcycle clubs located in California, and each has a myriad of riders and motorcycles.
If you're a resident of the Golden State, you may be familiar with the helmet laws. Additionally, however, insurance is also required while you travel the roads -- whether you're on two wheels, three wheels, or four. Because of the high population, California is one state where motorcycle accidents are common. A motorcycle accident can get serious quickly, so it's imperative to keep enough insurance on your motorcycle so that you're covered no matter the cost of the accident.
Motorcycle Riding Facts in California
- In 2012, there were 435 motorcyclist fatalities.
- 11 percent of all accidents involve a motorcycle.
- Over 10 percent of motorcycle fatalities occur when a rider is not wearing a helmet.
- In 2012, there were 55.24 fatalities per 100,000 motorcycle registrations.
- Los Angeles county had 21 percent of all motorcycle fatalities in the state during 2012.
Riding a motorcycle automatically increases your risk of an accident. In fact, a motorcyclist is 35 times more likely to be involved in a deadly accident than a driver in a passenger car. If you own or ride a motorcycle, it's incredibly important to have adequate motorcycle insurance.
What Is Motorcycle Insurance?
Motorcycle insurance is a set of policies grouped together to ensure you have the best coverage for your individual situation and risks. A motorcycle insurance policy in CA may include the following:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you are involved in an accident and are deemed at fault, this coverage will help pay for the damages you cause, up to the limits of your policy.
- Collision coverage: This can help you get repairs if you are involved in accidents with objects other than animals or other drivers.
- Comprehensive: Also known as "other than collision," this insurance coverage will help you get repairs stemming from an incident such as fire, wind, theft or arson.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: If you are involved in an accident and the other party does not have high enough limits to cover the damage -- or they do not have insurance at all -- you may be paying out of pocket for the repairs. This coverage can make sure that you're able to get your repairs done quickly and easily.
There are other coverage types available, but in order to get the best policy for your individual situation, it's best to talk with an insurance agent.
How Much Motorcycle Insurance Do I Need in CA?
The legal minimums for motorcycle insurance in California are as follows:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
With only these legal minimums in place, if an accident occurs -- even a small fender bender -- you may reach these insurance limits within seconds. If you are at fault, you may be paying for the rest of the damages and medical bills out of your pocket. It's a wise idea to have enough ensurance to cover anything that may happen.
How Much Will My Motorcycle Insurance Quote Be in CA?
A motorcycle insurance quote can vary, depending on many factors. When you decide to begin shopping for motorcycle insurance in California, make sure to be familiar with the following:
- Type of motorcycle
- Age of motorcycle
- Horsepower of motorcycle
- Value of motorcycle
- Where motorcycle will be ridden/stored
- Driving history
- Desired coverages
- Desired deductibles
All of these factors, plus many more, will be used to give you an insurance policy that's tailor-made for your needs.
What Types of Motorcycles Can be Covered in California?
Insurance companies are well aware that no two riders are alike. Each rider has individual passions and preferences. Because of this, there are many motorcycles that can be covered in California. Here's a list of the most common motorcycles that insurance can cover:
- Custom motorcycles
- Sport bikes
- Dirt bikes
- Racing motorcycles
Are Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance Policies in California?
Just like many other insurance policies, a number of discounts are available on motorcycle insurance. In the process of getting quotes, make sure you inquirie about the following discounts:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Lay-up policy discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Good driver discount
- Professional/industrial affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers different discounts, so make sure that you're getting the most out of each quote before purchasing.
Purchasing Motorcycle Insurance? We Can Help
It's important to consider your risks and assets before purchasing an insurance policy, to make sure you're getting enough coverage. A Trusted Choice insurance agent is always available to help you find coverage, suggest discounts or policy modifications, or even help you file a claim.