The state of Idaho is one of the most beautiful states in the nation. From beautiful, well-kept Boise to the mountains of the panhandle, Idaho has some of the most picturesque land around. The state also enjoys a myriad of outdoor activity offerings. Fishing, camping and hiking are just a few. The state has more than 50 trails dedicated to ATV riding, some with camping areas and nature interaction opportunities. But it also has a high number of ATV accidents and fatalities. Before embarking on a trail with your buddies, you should consider purchasing insurance. Read below to find out more about getting quotes and valuable coverage for your ATV.
Idaho ATV Statistics
- It is illegal for a dealership to sell a family an ATV for a child under 12 years old.
- From 1982 to 2011, there were 327 ATV accidents in ID.
- Two children died in 2012 while riding an ATV – both under 14 years old.
- On average, 20 ATV accidents occur per year in ID.
- Nationally, there are more than 300 accidents per year involving ATVs.
- If you are under 18, state law requires you to wear a helmet while riding an ATV.
- State law also requires all ATVs to be registered.
There is no doubt that ATV riding is fun. However, accidents do happen, and having an ATV insurance policy in place to protect you, your family and your financial well-being is an important part of being a responsible rider.
What ATV Insurance Coverage Is Available in Idaho?
ATV insurance in Idaho works much like a car insurance policy. There are many different options for coverage. A typical ATV policy may include the following:
- Liability coverage: Liability insurance is designed to cover you if you cause an accident while riding your ATV. If the accident is serious and involves medical expenses, your liability insurance will cover those costs up to the policy limit. If the accident ends in a lawsuit, your insurance can also cover fees related to your legal defense.
- Medical cost coverage: Medical cost coverage will cover any medical bills for you or riders of your ATV, regardless of fault. It can also cover out-of-pocket medical costs.
- Collision coverage: If you've purchased your ATV from a dealership, they most likely required you to carry collision coverage until the loan was paid. If your ATV is involved in an accident, this coverage will pay for the damage to your ATV.
- Comprehensive coverage: Lenders also require borrowers to have comprehensive coverage before they purchase an ATV in order to cover any damage stemming from anything other than collision. This covers fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects or “acts of God.” This coverage also extends to any accessories or upgrades.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: If you're involved in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured ATV rider or motorist, this coverage will pay for damage to your ATV.
What Types of ATVs Does ATV Insurance Cover in Idaho?
ATV insurance can cover more than just the typical four-wheeler. Here are just a few of the types of ATVs that Idaho insurance companies can cover:
- Farm ATV
- Race ATV
- Track ATV
- Dune buggy
You may have one of these or another type of ATV. If you have an ATV that is not on the above list, you can still get insurance on it.
What Factors into ATV Insurance Quotes in Idaho?
ATV insurance quotes in Idaho can vary in price, although the average is around $25 a month. When shopping for quotes, your insurance agent will likely require certain information from you, such as the following:
- Make of ATV
- Model of ATV
- Year ATV was made
- Where it is stored
- Maximum speed/engine size
- Your driving record
- Who will be riding
- Any safety courses you've taken
- Preferred coverages
- Preferred deductible
Are There Discounts Available on ATV Insurance?
Typically, there are many discounts available on every type of insurance policy. These discounts may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Claims-free discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Safety course discount
- Military discount
- Educator discount
- Industry affiliation discount
Each discount can work to save you money on your ATV insurance policy, making protection easier and more affordable than ever.
How to Get ATV Insurance in Idaho
ATV insurance is an important policy to add to your existing policies. When considering purchasing an ATV insurance policy, it's important to get the right coverage at the right price. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you find the right coverage, answer questions or even file a claim.
Contact your local agent for more information on how to get ATV coverage.