The Town of Barnstable, MA certainly sees its fair share of traffic. Whether you are merging onto the Mid Cape Highway on your way to Plymouth, caught up in congestion on Falmouth Road while out running errands or driving down West Main Street on your way to cheer on the Red Raiders at Barnstable High School, you are at risk for being in a vehicular accident every time you get behind the wheel of your car. The more drivers there are sharing the roads with you, the higher your risk. Fortunately, you can protect yourself from financial losses in the wake of a collision by carrying a suitable Barnstable auto insurance policy.
Finding reliable insurance at an affordable price is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. These agents can quickly provide you with an assortment of customized Barnstable car insurance quotes from a number of reputable insurers. They can then help you review and compare these policies so you can make an informed decision about which is best for you and your family. Find an agent in or near the Town of Barnstable to learn more.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Massachusetts average cost per year: $1,460
- 16th most expensive auto premium in the U.S.
Auto insurance rates in Massachusetts are higher than rates in most states. This is due in part to the higher minimum requirements this state imposes on its drivers. While the rates listed above can give you a general idea of what you might expect to pay, your actual price for coverage depends on several different factors. These can include such things as the following:
- Information about your vehicle (including its make, model, year, color and safety features) as indicated by its vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Information about all licensed drivers in your household (including their age, sex, marital status, and driving record) unless you are specifically excluding them from your coverage
- The ZIP code where you live
- The place where you park your car (driveway, street, garage, etc.)
- The approximate number of miles your vehicle is driven each month
- The amount of liability coverage you wish to purchase
- The amount of your deductible
Every insurance company has its own proprietary method for assessing risk and assigning rates, so comparison shopping puts you at an advantage by allowing you to choose the Barnstable car insurance policy that offers the best value for your money.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: required
- Minimum liability limits: 20/40/5: Coverage up to $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $20,000 for one individual, and $5,000 coverage for property damage
Failure to carry auto insurance that meets or exceeds Massachusetts’s minimum coverage requirements is a serious offense with some harsh penalties. If you are caught driving an uninsured vehicle, you may face penalties including the following:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The suspension of your driver’s license and vehicle registration for up to one year
- The need to pay a $500 reinstatement fee to end your license and registration suspension
- The possibility of up to one year of incarceration
Clearly, it is not worth the risk. Talk to your local agent for help finding an affordable policy that fits within your budget so that you can remain covered while out on the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 12.6%
- Number of uninsured Massachusetts drivers: 3.9%
Because this state is so hard on those who opt to drive without insurance, very few people do. Also, because drivers in Massachusetts are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage, losses related to collisions with uninsured drivers are not an especially big problem in this state. Massachusetts is a no-fault state, so if you are injured in a collision, you need to rely on your policy’s personal injury protection (PIP) coverage to cover your medical treatment. You are required to carry at least $8,000 in PIP coverage.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 1.91
If your car is stolen or damaged by vandals, you cannot receive compensation for your loss unless your Barnstable auto insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) insurance. This insurance also covers damage caused by such things as falling objects, floods, flying debris and fires. If you are still paying for your car, you probably already have this coverage because lenders frequently require you maintain this coverage until your loan is paid in full. If you do not have it but are considering it, your local agent can help you review the cost of adding compressive coverage to your policy.
Find the Best Barnstable Car Insurance Policy
If you are looking for an affordable Barnstable auto insurance policy that will provide all the coverage you and your family need, it is a good idea to work with an agent. These local agents can contact several different insurance companies on your behalf in order to collect a variety of customized policies and prices that you can compare. There are several local agents located throughout the state of Massachusetts, and some have offices in and near the Town of Barnstable.
Find an agent near you to learn more about your coverage options, and discover how easy it is to save money on your premiums by comparing Barnstable car insurance quotes.