There is a lot that is accessible from Needham, MA – starting with all of Boston as well as Worchester. But a day trip to Maine or the Berkshires is not out of the question, either. As a bedroom city, Needham provides an unbeatable value. But to take advantage of it all means owning a car, and that means buying car insurance.
The best Needham auto insurance policy for you is based on many things, including state requirements, your lifestyle and your car. In order to navigate all the options to find the best policy for you, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent. Your agent will get you multiple quotes so that you can compare to find the best policy for your needs at a price you can afford.
For some very good reasons, Massachusetts is rather expensive for car insurance. The U.S. average for car insurance was $1,311 in recent years, but in the Commonwealth, it was $1,460 in the same year. The state saw $6.5 billion in losses on the roads that year. Your car insurance is based on factors from your life, however. And the more you know about them, the more you can take steps on your own to keep your car insurance affordable. These are the factors:
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much coverage do you have for any claim.
- What you drive - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- How often and how far you drive - Insurers usually take your word for it.
- Where you live - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest insurance risk.
Different insurance companies stress different aspects of your life when giving you a quote, so shopping around for the insurance that fits your car and your life is critical.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
State law has certain minimum insurance requirements for every driver. The options you can select, starting with these requirements, include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond the demands of state law, you can also choose to have what is called a comprehensive policy. This covers any damage to your car for any reason, including theft, storms, and vandalism. Many policies even include a rental when your car is in the shop so that you can always get around Needham. It’s important to select the right policy for your lifestyle and not simply opt for the lowest price.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
State law requires you to carry uninsured motorist coverage for a very good reason. There aren’t a lot of uninsured drivers in the state, but there are some as shown in these data from recent years:
- Across the U.S., 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Massachusetts 3.9% of all drivers have no insurance.
You can see why the state requires you to be insured against drivers who are scofflaws. Uninsured motorist coverage pays out quickly in the event you are in an accident with a driver who is not carrying insurance, thus, allowing you to avoid long hassles with lawyers and the courts. If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver, the potential cost to you is much more than the value of your car – medical bills can be nearly unlimited.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
Car theft is not a big problem overall in Massachusetts as recent data show:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars is stolen every year.
- In Massachusetts, 1.91 out of every 1,000 cars is stolen.
Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves for a number of reasons – they are easier to steal or easier to sell when “hot,” or they have a larger market for parts. If you are contemplating buying a new car, you may want to check to see if it falls into this category and is more expensive to insure. No matter what, there are many things you can do to minimize your auto theft risk and keep your insurance claims down so that you maintain the lowest cost for your car insurance.
Find a Great Needham Car Insurance Policy
With so many options, finding the best car insurance for your needs can be daunting. Make an appointment with your Independent Agent today to understand the options for your vehicle and lifestyle so that you can get the quote that fits your needs and your budget the best.