Residents of Newton, MA can get around a lot just by riding the many transit options. But it still helps to have a car for trips to the grocery store and maybe a day trip to Cape Cod. The streets of Boston are known for being a bit crazy at times, however, so if you live in Newton, auto insurance that fits your car as well as your wallet is an absolute must if you own a car.
In order to find the car insurance that fits your car and your lifestyle at a cost you can afford, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent today. Your agent can help you navigate the wide range of options and requirements to find the policy that fits your needs the best. Since our agents aren’t tied to one carrier, they can help you shop around for many policies so that you can compare quotes to find the one that works for you. Car insurance is expensive in the Bay State for a lot of reasons. The statistics are as follows:
- Across the U.S., car insurance averaged $1,311 in recent years.
- In Massachusetts, it ran $1,460 those same years.
- This puts the state 16th overall for car insurance costs.
- There were $6,530,654 in losses that year.
Car insurance is driven up by small claims that come from the many small incidents in the wild streets of the Boston area. You need to understand what you can do to protect your car before you choose the right insurance for your situation. Saving on car insurance may be appealing, but if it leaves you stuck, you may regret it later.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that you have basic liability coverage. You may want more protection from liability and loss than that, however, based on your situation. Your legal requirements and options for car insurance include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond the legal requirements, you can choose to have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This is coverage for any ding or nick whether it is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft. You can also have it pay for a rental car while yours is in the shop and have a tow truck to pick you up by the side of the road. Comprehensive coverage is the best way to keep your car looking great no matter what and keep you on the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
Uninsured motorist coverage is required under state law, and it is a good thing. Despite the law requiring insurance on all drivers, there are a few scofflaws out there who don’t carry any:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Massachusetts, only 3.9% of all drivers have no insurance.
The rate of uninsured drivers is very low compared to other states. But they are still out there, and it is important to be insured in case one of them comes your way.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
The Bay State has a surprisingly low rate of car theft. For recent years, you can see the difference:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Massachusetts, the rate was 1.91 out of every 1,000 cars.
Despite this low rate, you may still want to be protected against car theft. If you do not have a comprehensive policy, the risk of your car being stolen is entirely on you. There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of auto theft, but the most important is to have a secure garage or other place to park your car at night. It’s also important to use the alarm that comes on nearly every car today. The right policy for you isn’t always the cheapest, so it is important to shop around to different companies to find the one that works best with your lifestyle.
Find a Great Newton Car Insurance Policy
Your car insurance policy has to fit your car, your lifestyle and your budget. With all of the choices that go into this, along with state requirements, the best thing you can do is to talk to your Independent Agent. Your agent will find the best policy for your needs and get you multiple quotes so that you can compare them for the most affordable coverage for yourself.