It is impossible to control what other people do. Whenever you put together a large event with lots of people attending, there are a number of things that can go wrong. Someone can become intoxicated and damage property, the food that is being served could be contaminated, or a guest at the event can become severely injured.
While problems like those listed above do not happen often, they can occur. If you are the one responsible for the event, you may find yourself facing large financial losses unless you are carrying event liability insurance. Talk to an independent insurance agent in Massachusetts to learn more about this valuable coverage.
What Is Event Liability Insurance?
Event liability insurance, which may also be referred to as “special event insurance” or “one-day event insurance,” is a specialized insurance policy that is designed to shield event hosts from liability risks.
Examples of the types of gatherings you may want to cover with event liability insurance include the following.
- Sporting events
If you are planning a special event in Massachusetts, be sure to consult a local independent insurance agent for help finding a suitable event insurance policy to protect your financial interests.
Is Liability Insurance Required for Private Events in Massachusetts?
While carrying event liability coverage is not required by law in Massachusetts, it may be required by the venue where your event is being held.
Whether or not it is required, these inexpensive policies can prove invaluable if an unexpected disaster happens during your event.
How Much Does Liability Insurance Cost for an Event in Massachusetts?
Costs for event insurance can vary from one event to the next. Rates are based on factors such as the following.
- The type of event you are insuring
- How long your event is expected to last (hours or days)
- The expected number of people who will be attending the event
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether alcoholic beverages will be sold or served at your event
- The types of entertainment that will be included at your event
- Whether your event will include any temporary structures like tents, booths, amusement rides, or stages
The good news is that event liability insurance is rather affordable. On average, one-day events cost around $150 to insure, while events lasting 10 days average about $250.
The only way to find out how much it will cost to cover your specific event is by requesting customized quotes from a few competing insurance companies. Local independent agents can save you time by doing the comparison shopping for you.
Business Liability Insurance
What Does Massachusetts Event Liability Insurance Cover?
There are a few different kinds of liability coverage that your event insurance policy can provide.
While general liability insurance is important for any type of event you are hosting, the other coverage listed below is optional and will only be necessary for certain kinds of events.
- General liability insurance: This can cover injuries, property damage, and illnesses your guests may experience while attending your event as well as potential damage to the venue where it will be held.
- Liquor liability insurance: This can cover injuries or property damage if it is caused by someone who became intoxicated at your event.
- Hired/non-owned auto liability insurance: This can cover liabilities related to any vehicles that may be used by your event, such as if you are providing shuttle services from a parking area to the event venue.
- Garagekeepers insurance: This can cover damage to your guests’ vehicles while they are in a parking attendant’s custody, care, or control. It is advisable if your event is providing valet parking services.
- Cancellation insurance: This is not actually liability insurance, but it may be included as an option in your event liability policy. It can cover the costs associated with canceling or postponing your event if an unavoidable disaster such as a hurricane or blizzard necessitates doing so.
A local independent agent can help you identify any potential risks your event may face and can ensure that your event has suitable coverage against each of them.
What Does Massachusetts Event Liability Insurance Not Cover?
Insurance companies frequently exclude certain hazardous activities from their event liability coverage. For instance, it is unlikely that your policy will cover injuries related to the following.
- Pyrotechnics / Fireworks
- The use of firearms
- Bungee jumping, skydiving, and other thrill-seeking activities
- Amusement rides and devices
If your event will feature hazardous entertainment or activities like those listed above, be sure to talk to your insurance agent for help determining whether any suitable supplemental coverage is available. That way, you can be sure that you are not left with any gaps in your event coverage.
How to Get the Best Liability Insurance for an Event in Massachusetts
Finding an ideal event liability insurance policy is easy when you work with an independent agent. These local agents are available to answer your insurance-related questions and can shop around to find you the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
There are nearly 1,300 independent agents with offices in Massachusetts so it should be easy to find an experienced insurance agent near you.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.