A suburb of Springfield, the beautiful town of Wilbraham, MA, is a great place to live. If you are among the more than 14,000 people who call this town home and you own your house, you will want to be sure to cover your investment with a comprehensive and reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Wilbraham home. Contact an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Wilbraham, MA?
The average cost of home insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. This makes shopping around for the best rate all the more beneficial.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Massachusetts average yearly premium: $1,379
Of course, your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from the rates mentioned above. This is because costs are calculated individually according to several different factors. These can include such things as:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The number of floors in your house and whether or not it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
- Your claims history and credit score
Each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you to choose the home insurance policy that offers the coverage you want at the best price. Independent insurance agents in Wilbraham make comparison shopping easy.
What Damage Is Covered by Wilbraham Home Insurance?
Home insurance policies are designed to cover against property damage caused by most of the hazards you are likely to face as a homeowner in Wilbraham. This includes risks ranging from accidental fires to severe weather events.
Dwelling insurance covers the structure of your house while contents insurance covers the personal belongings inside it. You will want to be sure that each has enough coverage to fully enable you to rebuild and replace following a catastrophic event.
Catastrophic Events in Massachusetts
- Number of federally declared disasters in Massachusetts: 54
- Most common reasons for disasters in MA: severe storms and hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Massachusetts: 1.4
- Average amount of property damage per year in MA: $808 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Wilbraham residents are most at risk for damages caused by hurricanes, severe storms, hail, and gusty winds. Additionally, heavy snows and freezing temperatures have the potential to cause expensive damage to your home, particularly if a water pipe bursts or if ice dams damage your roof.
Fortunately, all of these hazards are covered by most home insurance policies.
A Word about Flood Damage in Wilbraham, MA
Flooding is not unheard of in Wilbraham. When spring thaws saturate the ground and hurricanes bring prolonged, heavy rains to the area, drainage systems can become overwhelmed and lead to flash flooding.
Residents with properties near the Chicopee River are most at risk, but flash floods can happen just about anywhere in this Massachusetts town. Unfortunately, homeowners insurance does not cover damages caused by floods. This is true even when the flood is the direct result of a covered storm or hurricane.
Fortunately, a local independent agent can help you supplement your homeowners insurance coverage with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Flood insurance is more affordable than you might think. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Wilbraham Homeowners?
If you are sued in a liability lawsuit, the costs can be extremely expensive. Sometimes, they can even cause so much financial harm that you could potentially lose your home. That is why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability insurance as a standard part of your coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your this coverage may be of use include:
- If a visitor to your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part.
- If you accidentally cause injuries or property damage to someone while you are away from your home, such as while hitting the links at the Country Club of Wilbraham.
- If someone in your household, including your children or your pets, causes accidental injuries or property damage to someone else.
- If you are accused of libel or slander.
Homeowners liability insurance usually maxes out at $500,000. If you want to have more liability coverage than this, you can supplement your policy with an umbrella insurance policy. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage.
A local independent insurance agent can help you acquire all the liability coverage you want at a competitive price.
Does Wilbraham Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Wilbraham is higher than the state average but lower than the national rate. Residents of this town report an average of about 50 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Massachusetts: 2.82
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Wilbraham: 3.05
You may gain some peace of mind by knowing that if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your property losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused.
If you own any particularly valuable belongings, you may need to purchase special endorsements, or riders, in order for them to be fully covered by your contents coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that all of your personal property is properly insured.
What about Wilbraham Residents with Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you like to get away from Massachusetts’s cold winters by visiting a vacation home you own in the South. Or perhaps you have a second home nearby that you rent out to young families to make some extra income.
Whatever your reasons for owning more than one residential property, you will need to be sure that all of your houses are covered by appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
When you own a house that is not used as your primary residence, there are additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. In some cases, you may be required to purchase specialized home insurance coverage. For example:
- Vacation properties that are left empty and unattended for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are lived in by tenants have higher liability risks and a greater chance of sustaining serious property damage. These homes typically need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your residential properties are covered by appropriate and competitively priced policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Wilbraham, MA?
The easiest way to obtain the best and most affordable insurance for your Wilbraham home is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are able to shop around in order to find you great coverage at a competitive price.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office in Wilbraham to set up a one-on-one consultation. You can start comparing customized home insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.