Minnesota Tornado Insurance
Find the right tornado insurance policy for you.
Tornadoes can happen anywhere in the country, and they are among the most expensive natural disasters in the U.S. In Southern Minnesota, the I-90 Corridor in considered the state’s tornado alley with a higher percentage of these damaging windstorms than elsewhere in the state. No matter where you make your home, it pays to be sure you have adequate Minnesota tornado insurance for your home and vehicles.
To make sure you have properly protected your own property from these potentially devastating storms, contact a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network. An experienced professional, familiar with your location, will be happy to review your current policies, suggest alternative coverage, and help you compare Minnesota tornado insurance quotes. Since these are independent agents, they can compare rates and plans from a variety of top rated insurers. Contact a member agent right in your area for more information.
- Number of windstorm claims per year: 500
- Number of tornados, 1950 to 2012: 1721
- Number of tornado deaths, 1950 to 2012: 99
- Number of tornado injuries, 1950 to 2012: 1,981
Although these violent windstorms might be associated with warm weather months, MN tornados have been reported in every month of the year from March until November.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Save on Tornado Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Tornado Insurance for Your Home
Your own risk of damage will depend upon how your house is constructed and where you live. For example, apartment renters in St. Paul may have different concerns than owners of lakeside cabins or those who live on the open plains, including those on farmland.
- Typical homeowners policies will cover tornado damage, but you should review your policy to make sure you have enough coverage for your home and personal. These items could include your appliances, electronics, clothes, furniture, jewelry, valuables and any special collections.
- Since your personal records could be destroyed in a bad storm, it is a good idea to store a home inventory outside of your house. You might store it digitally with an online home inventory system. If you prefer to keep manual records, you could lock them inside a bank safety deposit box for extra security.
- If you rent or live in a condo, your landlord or building association will probably carry insurance on the outside structure. But you should still carry renters or condo insurance to be sure you can pay for damages to inside structures, small appliances, and your personal possessions.
- A full coverage home policy will also have relocation assistance to help you pay for temporary lodging if you need to move out while your home is being rebuilt or repaired.
Does Tornado Insurance Cover Your Car?
If you do evaluate tornado insurance, be sure to get a full list of items that are covered and not covered. It is also a good idea to do a full review of both your home and auto coverage, and consider various scenarios. For example, consider the coverage you will need if your car is parked in the garage, at your place of work or elsewhere.
Typically the comprehensive portion of your Minnesota car insurance policy will cover tornado or other storm damage to your car. Comprehensive insurance is not required under MN state minimum insurance regulations, so it is important to know that you will not have storm coverage for your vehicle without it.
Find Minnesota Tornado Insurance Quotes
To make sure your home and vehicle are covered against tornado damage, contact a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network. One of these agents, right in your area, can provide Minnesota tornado insurance quotes and options, answer your questions, and help you get the protection you need.
Find a local member agent in the Trusted Choice network to get started and get peace of mind.