If you love the metropolitan feel of the city, but want to come home to a quiet suburban home, Norman, OK may be the place to put down roots. This historical city offers a great community full of culture, art and of course the university. If you have purchased a home in Norman, protecting it with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy is a smart investment.
Independent insurance agents are familiar with the risk of owning a home in Norman. They’ll walk you through the best coverage options and help you create a customized home insurance plan. Chat with an agent to get started.
What is covered by your Norman, OK Homeowners Insurance?
Your standard homeowners insurance policy will provide coverage to repair or replace your home and its contents in an insured event. Your policy will cover the belongings in the case of:
- Fire or smoke
- Theft or vandalism
- Falling tree, or damaged caused by a weather event like hail.
If one of these events happen your homeowners insurance policy will cover the structure of your home. Your policy will also include these types of coverage:
- Liability protection: If you or other family members cause bodily injury or property damage, this will cover you against lawsuits. This also includes your pets.
- Coverage for your personal belongings: Your policy usually covers up to 50-70% of all furniture and personal belongings that you lost because of an insured event.
- Coverage for additional living expenses: This will pay for the additional costs of living if your house become inhabitable. It includes hotel bills, eating out, and laundry services. This is covered until your home can be lived in again.
Norman Property Crimes
- National rate per 1,000: 3.76
- Norman rate per 1,000: 4.40
You have a 1 in 33 chance of falling victim to a property crime in Norman. With a higher rate than the national average, it’s a good idea to have a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy to protect you against theft and vandalism.
How much coverage do you need in Norman, OK?
This will depend on how much your home is worth and any valuable possessions you have. If you have expensive jewelry and it is stolen, your standard policy will have a limit on how much it will cover. In this case, it’s a good idea to purchase personal property endorsement insurance to insure the item to its official value. This insurance can cover any valuable item you own.
Keep in mind that you should have enough coverage to reimburse your living expenses, rebuild your home, cover injuries and damage, and replace your belongings. This way, you’ll be quickly reimbursed.
An independent insurance agent can help you figure out how much coverage you need. They’ll go through you home value and personal possessions and help you decide.
Flooding in Norman
Every year rainstorms bring heavy rain to Norman. Most of the flooding is due to the runoff that causes the levels of 10 mile flat, Imhoff, Merkle and Bishop Creeks to rise. This causes water damage to hundreds of properties and homes. Unfortunately, your homeowners insurance policy will not cover damage caused by floods.
Living in Norman brings great risk of flooding every year, that’s why it’s a good idea to purchase a flood insurance policy. This will cover damage caused such as replacing appliances, floor, and will even help you remove debris.
How much is your homeowners insurance going to cost in Norman, OK?
The average homeowners insurance cost in Norman is $2,559, that is an average of $213 a month. Rate in Norman tend to be much higher than the national rate, but your exact quote will be dependent on specific factors to you. Insurers will look at:
- Claim record: the frequency of your claim history will translate into higher rates.
- Location of home: Expect to pay a higher premium if you live in an area prone to natural disasters, or a neighborhood with a high crime rate.
- Materials, condition and the age of your home: A home that is old and not well maintained will have a higher rate, than a newer home. Also, if your house is made from flammable materials expect a higher premium.
How to save Money
It’s always a good idea to shop around before you make your purchase. An independent agent will do this step for you. They’ll comparison shop and find the most affordable price for you, so you don’t have to. An agent will look at discounts that may be applicable to you, such as:
- Home security discount: If you have an updated security system in your house, you may qualify for a discount.
- Loyalty discount: If you have stayed with your insurance company for many years, they may give you a discounted rate.
- Maintaining a good credit record: Your credit information may b used to price your policy, so have a good credit history can cut your insurance costs.
- Home renovation: If you update your home’s plumbing, cooling, and heating, you may qualify for a credit on your premium.
How to find affordable homeowners insurance in Norman, OK?
An independent insurance agent will make this step easy. They’ll talk to you about your home, possessions, neighborhood, and will show you multiple policies with the coverage you’re looking for. When you’re ready, chat with an independent agent to get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.