Tennessee is home to some of the most picturesque geography in the nation. From the rolling Tennessee River to the sweeping Smoky Mountains , the state is full of unforgettable scenery. Residents and visitors take to the roads almost every weekend to enjoy what nature has to offer. This includes a large number of motorcyclists. Unfortunately, with the curvy roads and blind turns, motorcycle accidents are common in the state, which is why having sufficient motorcycle insurance in place is so important.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Tennessee Motorcycle Facts
Tennessee requires that all motorcyclists and passengers wear a helmet, along with carrying liability insurance with the following coverages:
- $15,000 for property damage for one accident
- $25,000 for one injury or death
- $50,000 for all injuries or deaths
Unfortunately, these amounts are very low, and even a small motorcycle accident can reach these limits quickly. In a serious or fatal accident, these limits are reached within minutes, leaving you to pay the remainder of the costs out of pocket. It's critical to have enough motorcycle insurance in place to cover the costs of a major accident.
What is Motorcycle Insurance in TN?
Motorcycle insurance is a set of policies tailor-made to offer you coverage against some of the most common incidents that can happen while riding your motorcycle. The policy may resemble auto insurance, and offer the following coverage:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you are at fault for an accident, this insurance can cover both the medical expenses and the damages that you cause to the not-at-fault party.
- Collision coverage: This insurance is designed to cover collisions with other motorcycles or vehicles.
- Comprehensive: Also termed"other than collision," this coverage helps protect you from damages stemming from weather-related events, fire, theft, or even arson.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: If you are in an accident with someone who is under/uninsured, this coverage can help cover the damages.
Will My Type of Motorcycle Be Covered?
If you've ever been to a motorcycle rally or seen a group of motorcyclists rumbling by, you've probably noticed that there are a many different types of motorcycles. Insurance companies know this, and offer coverage for various types of motorcycles, including:
- Sport bikes
- Dirt bikes
Insurance can cover many types of motorcycles, so be sure to ask what coverages are available for your specific type of motorcycle.
What Will My Insurance Quote Look Like?
When you're shopping for motorcycle insurance in TN, make sure to be familiar with the following:
- Type of motorcycle
- Age of motorcycle
- Value of motorcycle
- Storage location of motorcycle
- Where motorcycle will be driven
- Whether there will be passengers or others driving the motorcycle
- Driving records for all drivers
- If motorcycle is financed
- Preferred coverage
- Preferred deductible
All of this information will be considered before giving you a quote to make sure that you're getting the best coverage for your unique needs and situation.
Are Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance?
There are usually many different discounts available on motorcycle insurance policies based in Tennessee. These discounts may include the following:
- Good driver discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Safety course discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Lay-up discount (If you only use your bike during summer months)
- Industry/professional affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers different discounts, so the insurance discounts your motorcycle club buddy is eligible for may not be available for you. Always be sure to ask about any available discounts before purchasing a motorcycle insurance policy.
Get Protected With Motorcycle Insurance
Trusted Choice® knows that motorcycles are a passion and an investment -- and that your insurance coverage should reflect that. Trusted Choice agents are always available to help discuss coverages, suggest discounts, or even help you file a claim.
These agents have years of experience working with Tennessee insurance providers, enabling them to find you a number of quotes from a variety of companies. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent near you today to find the most comprehensive motorcycle insurance quotes at the best rates.