Tennessee, and the city of Nashville in particular, is known for its music and active nightlife. However, the state also has a number of large rivers and over 50 lakes within its borders. Even in dreary weather, you'll see boaters out enjoying the lakes and rivers in Tennessee. Boating is one of the most popular activities in the state, and as such, every year there is an increasing number of boats registered in the state.
And as the number of boats increases, the number of accidents involving boats increases as well. And just like an accident on the road, the at-fault party is responsible for covering damages. Boat insurance isn't required by law, however, having insurance on your boat gives you peace of mind that no matter what happens out on the water, you're covered from the financial impact an accident can have.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Recent Tennessee Boating Facts
- There were over 259,600 boats registered in Tennessee.
- There were 171 boating accidents in Tennessee.
- Chickamauga Lake and Norris Lake had the highest incidents of accidents.
- Monetary damages from boating accidents totaled $2,306,012.
- There were four fatalities on the water in Tennessee, with "falling overboard" being the largest cause of fatalities.
No matter how safe you are on the water in Tennessee, accidents can still happen, which is why boat insurance is so important. Boat insurance can protect you from financial liabilities, repairs, towing, and even wreckage removal. Just like the fire extinguisher on a vessel, boat insurance is there when you need it.
What Is Boat Insurance in Tennessee?
Boat insurance is a set of policies put together in order to protect you from some of the most common accidents and incidents that occur while owning a boat. A typical boat insurance policy may resemble the following:
- Bodily injury liability: Liability insurance can offer protection if you are at fault for an accident or injury while using your boat. This coverage can cover legal expenses, judgments, and medical costs.
- Property damage liability: Property damage is designed to help cover the costs of any damages to property that you are responsible for while operating your boat.
- Physical damage: If your boat is damaged in a boating accident, this insurance can help cover the costs of boat repairs.
- Comprehensive: Much like car insurance, this policy can cover damages other than collision, such as fire, theft, arson, or weather-related damages.
- Equipment Coverage: If you own fishing or dive gear, waterskis, or expensive fishing equipment, this insurance can help cover those items on your boat.
- Towing coverage: If you are stranded on the water, this coverage can help you get a tow back to shore.
- Wreckage clean-up/spill removal: If you're involved in an accident or found at fault for polluting a body of water, these coverages can help cover the remediation costs.
- Under/uninsured boater: Unfortunately, many individuals do not carry insurance on their boats. If you're in an accident with someone who is under/uninsured, you may be paying out of pocket for repairs or medical expenses. This insurance is designed to help cover those costs.
What Types of Boats Can Be Covered by Boat Insurance?
When it comes to insuring boats, insurance companies realize that there are many different types of boats in TN that need coverage. Below is a list of the most commonly covered boat types:
- Jon boats
- Fishing boats
- Bass boats
- Speed boats
No matter the type of boat you own, there is most likely insurance available for it.
How Much Will a Boat Insurance Quote Be in TN?
Boat insurance prices vary based on a variety of risks and factors. When searching online for boat insurance quotes, make sure to be aware of the following:
- Boat type
- Boat length
- Boat value
- Number of passengers
- Where the boat is stored
- If the boat has a trailer
- If others will be driving the boat
- Driving record on/off the water
- Desired coverage
- Desired deductible
Each of these factors will be used to give you a quote for boat insurance that will cover you regardless of the incident.
Are There Discounts Available on Boat Insurance in TN?
Just like many other insurance policies, there are discounts available on boat insurance in Tennessee. When looking for boat insurance, be sure to inquire about the following discounts:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Good driver discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Lay-up discount (if you only use your boat during the summer months)
- Industry/professional affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers its customers different discounts, so be sure to ask about any available discounts that you may be unaware of.
How to Get Boat Insurance in Tennessee
When finding coverage for your vessel in TN, it's important to have a professional to point you in the direction of the right coverage at the right price. An independent agent is always available to help you find coverages, suggest discounts, or even help you file a claim.