The state of Tennessee has eight states as neighbors. And while it's a landlocked state, it has many lakes and rivers for residents and visitors to enjoy. From the Tennessee River to Watauga Lake, the state has many water sport opportunities. While PWC insurance isn't required, it's a wise investment. PWCs are small, powerful boats, and accidents involving PWCs can get serious quickly. Read the information below to find out how to get quotes and coverage so no matter what happens, you’ll have peace of mind and coverage while on the water.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Recent Tennessee PWC Stats
- Franklin County had the most PWC accidents.
- Wake from a vessel was the leading cause of accidents.
- 12- to 15-year-olds were involved in PWC accidents the most often.
Tennessee requires all boaters born after 1989 to pass a boaters safety course before taking to the water unless they are visitors from out of state. There are also laws regarding required equipment and rules to abide by while you are on the water, so be sure you're familiar with the rules before heading out. No matter your PWC experience level, accidents can still happen. From operator error to speeding and carelessness, PWC accidents are common. Having PWC insurance covering you and your vessel is important when it comes to keeping your financial life afloat if an accident occurs.
What Types of PWC Insurance Are Available in TN?
When it comes to PWC insurance, it's important to have enough coverage to pay for any type of accident. A typical PWC insurance policy in TN may contain the following coverage options:
- Property damage: This insurance coverage comes in handy if your PWC sustains damage. It covers repairs to your vessel, along with repairs to any other property you own.
- Medical payments: If you or a family member is involved in a PWC accident, this insurance can help pay for the medical bills, no matter the fault.
- Uninsured or underinsured boater: Unfortunately, not every boater carries insurance. If you're involved in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured boater, you may be paying for damage costs out of pocket. This insurance can help cover those costs.
- Water sport liability: This insurance works much like vehicle liability insurance. If you are in a PWC accident and damage someone else's boat, property or person, this insurance can help cover those costs.
- Pollution coverage: You are responsible for pollution spills on Tennessee waters. This is an expensive and arduous process to endure. This coverage can help cover those costs.
- Towing and assistance: PWCs can break down at any time. This coverage can get you a tow back to shore.
- Wreckage removal: If your PWC sinks, you are responsible for removing the vessel. This insurance coverage can help cover those costs.
- Accessory coverage: This insurance can cover inflatables you tow behind your PWC and can cover your GPS and other equipment on your PWC.
What Types of PWCs Can You Cover in Tennessee?
Insurance companies understand that there are many types of PWCs on the waters in Tennessee. When it comes to PWC insurance, you can get coverage for all types of PWCs. PWC insurance can extend to the following types of PWCs:
- Racing PWCs
- Fishing PWCs
- Single person PWCs to Four Person PWCs
- Stand up PWCs
- Sit down PWCs
- Submersible PWCs
If your PWC is other than one of those listed above, an insurance agent should still be able to get you coverage.
What About Getting PWC Insurance Quotes in TN?
There's no average cost when it comes to PWC insurance since every boater faces different risks. When you're shopping online for PWC insurance quotes, make sure you are familiar with the following:
- Type of PWC
- Age of PWC
- HP of PWC
- Value of PWC
- Whether PWC is stored on a trailer or dry-docked during off months
- Where PWC is ridden
- Whether riders besides yourself will ride PWC
- Any extra equipment that will be used with PWC
- Your driving record on and off the water
- Whether PWC is financed
Insurers will consider all of these factors before giving you quotes to make sure that you're getting the proper coverage.
Are There PWC Insurance Discounts Available in TN?
As with most insurance policies, there are discounts on PWC insurance in Tennessee. Be sure to ask about any discounts available, including the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Boater safety course discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Lay-up policy discount (if PWC is used only during summer months)
- Professional/Industry affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers its customers different discounts, so be sure to ask each company you contact for quotes about any available discounts.
How To Obtain PWC Insurance in Tennessee
When it comes to PWC insurance, it's important to have a professional by your side to make sure you're getting a PWC insurance policy tailored to your needs. An agent is always available to help you discuss coverage, find discounts and even help you file a claim.
Contact your local agent for more information on getting quotes and coverage for your PWC.