With over 240,000 residents, Norfolk has become the third largest city in Virginia. This city on the water features rich culture and diverse people, and offers its own flavor to life. If you own a home in Norfolk, you’ll want to be sure to protect it with a reliable home insurance policy. Ask an independent insurance agent for help to find you an affordable policy.
How Much Will Your Homeowners Insurance Cost in Norfolk, VA?
Virginia has one of the least expensive rates for home insurance when compared to the nation. However, Norfolk has much higher rates.
- National average yearly premium: $1,217
- Virginia average yearly premium: $1,067
- Norfolk average yearly premium: $1,822
It’s highly recommended to comparison shop before you make your final decision. An independent insurance agent can do this step and help you find an affordable policy.
Your home insurance premium may vary from the average cost in your city. Your rate is determined according to your unique home and coverage needs. Insurers will calculate your rate based on:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The crime rate and weather hazards in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are insuring a detached single-family home, townhouse, condo, or mobile home
It’s also important to remember that there are many home insurance discounts that you may qualify for. Chat with an agent to find out what possibilities you might have.
Theft Rate in Norfolk, VA
One in twenty-seven people living in Norfolk will become a victim of property crime.
- National theft rate per 1,000: 15.95
- Norfolk theft rate per 1,000: 30.05
With such a high theft rate, it’s important to make sure that you are protected with a homeowners insurance policy. If you experience a burglary in you home, a reliable policy can help you get back on your feet quickly. Home insurance helps you pay to repair or replace stolen possessions and will reimburse for any damage to your home.
You might also want to consider updating your home security system and locks, and using automated lights. These are all great deterrents for thieves and may also earn you a discount on your homeowners policy.
Liability Insurance for Your Norfolk, VA Home
Your personal liability coverage is a component of your homeowners insurance policy. This coverage will help prevent you from paying out of pocket if an unexpected event happens on your property, or you while you’re out.
For example, if someone accidentally falls down your staircase, you could be held responsible for their medical expenses if you are liable. Luckily, your liability insurance has you covered and will protect you in a number of ways, such as:
- Medical bills: It will help pay for medical bills that result from a visitor’s accidental injury at your home.
- Lost wages: If someone is injured on your property and can no longer work, your liability insurance will help prevent you from paying out of pocket.
- Legal costs: if you're sued because of an accident at your home, your legal expenses will be covered.
- Coverage away from home: Your liability insurance will also cover loss that happens when you’re away from home, like if you damage a hotel lobby.
The liability portion of your insurance will only cover expenses to a limit, and then you’ll be responsible for the rest. An independent agent can help you figure out how much coverage you need to make sure you’ll be financially okay.
Natural Disaster Coverage in Norfolk, VA
Norfolk is prone to disasters such as fires, tornadoes, and windstorms. Every year thousands of people’s homes are damaged, but with homeowners insurance you’ll be covered. When a disaster strikes, your policy will help with:
- If your home becomes inhabitable, it will cover other living expenses
- Damage to detached structures (garages, sheds, or fences)
- Kitchen appliances
One thing that your policy won’t cover is flood damage. Because of where Norfolk is located, it’s pretty critical to make sure you purchase a separate flood insurance policy. This will guarantee that any water damage that takes place will be repaired and reimbursed quickly. Talk with an agent to find out just exactly what a flood policy can do for you.
How to Find Affordable Homeowners Insurance in Norfolk, VA
A Norfolk independent insurance agent will comparison shop for you and get you competitive rates. They’ll answer questions about coverage, and help you make an educated choice that meets your needs and budget. Chat with an agent today to get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.