Homeowners Insurance in Camas, WA
Experts break down home insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more for property owners in Camas, Washington.
The growing city of Camas, WA is home to about 27,000 people. Whether you are a lifelong resident or recently moved to this Portland suburb because of its excellent schools, low crime rate, and many parks, if you own your house, you can benefit from the protections of a good homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent agents can work with multiple highly rated insurance providers to help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Camas home. When you are ready to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes, contact an independent insurance agent near you.
What Is Homeowners Insurance, and Is It Required in Camas, WA?
Homeowners insurance is a policy designed to safeguard the investment you have made in your home and your property and to shield you from financial losses related to liabilities.
Homeowners insurance is not required by law, but lenders typically require it if you are still making payments on a mortgage or a home equity loan. Once you finish paying off your loans and own your house with no liens against it, this coverage is optional but highly recommended, given the value of your home.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Camas, WA?
Overall, homeowners insurance rates in Washington are much lower than the national average. This is welcome news for Camas homeowners looking for an affordable policy.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Washington average yearly premium: $854
In Camas, where home values tend to be higher than throughout most of the state, you can expect rates to exceed the state average. Insurance companies calculate rates on a case-by-case basis according to several factors, such as:
- Your home's age, rebuild value, and size in square feet
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached house, condo, townhouse, manufactured home, etc.)
- The estimated value of your personal property
- The crime rate and weather risks where your home is located
- Your insurance claims history
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or motorcycle insurance
Every insurance company calculates premiums differently, so you are likely to be quoted a different cost by every company you contact for rates. Comparison shopping lets you choose the policy offered at the most competitive price. Independent insurance agents in Camas make comparison shopping easy.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Camas, WA?
Homeowners insurance can protect your finances and the investment you have made in your home by providing:
- Coverage for your property
- Coverage against displacement
- Coverage against liability lawsuits
Independent agents help ensure that you have sufficient coverage in all three categories.
How Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Property in Camas, WA?
Your homeowners insurance policy includes three categories of property coverage. These are:
- Coverage A (Dwelling insurance): This covers damage to the structure of your house and its built-in appliances.
- Coverage B (Other structures insurance): This covers damage to other structures on your property, like sheds and detached garages.
- Coverage C (Contents insurance): This covers loss or damage to your personal property, like furniture, electronics, and clothing.
Your policy can pay to rebuild, repair, or replace your property if it is damaged by a covered event. Covered risks include:
- Fires: Your policy can cover damage caused by accidental fires, wildfires, and fires started by hazards like earthquakes and lightning strikes.
- Property crimes: Your policy covers property loss and damage sustained in crimes like vandalism, burglary, and arson.
- Falling objects: Your policy can pay for damage caused by hazards like uprooted trees, falling branches, and hailstones.
- Severe weather: Your policy can pay for damage caused by events like thunderstorms, windstorms, and bomb cyclones (but not the floods they may cause).
You will want to ensure that your coverage limits in all three categories are high enough to replace all your property if you suffer a total loss in a disaster like a wildfire.
How Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Camas, WA Residents against Displacement?
Wildfires pose a significant threat to Camas. Every home in this city carries a moderate risk of being damaged by a wildfire over the next 30 years.
If a disaster like a wildfire impacts your home, property damage isn't the only expensive outcome you will need to be concerned with. If your home's structure sustains significant damage, it may be rendered uninhabitable and you would need to seek alternate accommodations until repairs can be completed.
That is why all homeowners insurance policies include:
- Coverage D (Loss of use insurance): This covers your extra living expenses if damage caused by a covered event displaces you from your home.
While your home is being repaired, your loss of use coverage can pay for things like:
- A stay in a hotel or other reasonable accommodations
- Meals and groceries
- Moving and storage fees
- Laundry and dry cleaning costs
- Mileage reimbursement if you must drive further to get to work
- Pet boarding, if needed
Your loss of use coverage can continue until your house has been brought back to code and is safe to occupy or until you have built or purchased a new primary residence.
Why Do Homeowners in Camas, WA Need Coverage against Liability Lawsuits?
Anyone can end up on the wrong end of a liability lawsuit. All it takes is one accident, negligent act, or error in judgment. If your actions result in someone else experiencing a serious injury, property loss, or financial harm, you can be sued. That is why your homeowners insurance policy includes:
- Coverage E (Homeowners liability insurance): This is designed to cover expenses like court costs, legal fees, mediation costs, settlements, and judgments if you or someone in your household unintentionally cause harm to someone else.
Home insurance companies typically provide personal liability coverage between $100,000 and $500,000. If you want even more protection than your home insurance policy offers, you can significantly boost your liability coverage by purchasing an umbrella insurance policy. An independent agent can help.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Isn't Covered by Homeowners Insurance in Camas, WA?
As a resident of Camas, it is essential to know that homeowners insurance does not cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. To be protected against these risks, you will need to purchase supplemental policies.
FEMA warns that just one inch of rainwater in your home can cause as much as $25,000 in property damage. Unfortunately, there is a moderate risk of flood damage in Camas. More than 550 homes in this city have at least a 26% chance of sustaining significant flood damage over the next 30 years.
You can ensure that your property is covered against this risk by supplementing your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program administered by FEMA.
A local independent agent can help you review flood maps to assess your flood risk and, if needed, can help you secure affordable flood insurance coverage.
Seismic events can damage your personal property and cause irreparable damage to the structure of your home. Unfortunately, the risk of a major earthquake event in the area is high due to Camas' proximity to several fault lines.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) reports a 32.65% probability that an earthquake of magnitude 5.0 or greater will occur within 30 miles of Camas over the next 50 years.
To protect yourself against this risk, you may want to consider supplementing your homeowners insurance with earthquake insurance. This coverage can prove invaluable if your home is seriously damaged or destroyed in a quake. An independent agent can help you find an affordable policy.
Does Camas, WA Have a High Burglary Rate?
The burglary rate in Washington is higher than the national rate. However, in Camas, the rate is much lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report around 50 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in Washington: 5.34
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in Camas: 1.23
Home security systems provide one of the most effective ways of deterring burglars. That is why many insurers offer home insurance discounts to policyholders who have burglar alarms, surveillance cameras, and other security features installed in their homes.
Unfortunately, nothing is 100% foolproof against a determined burglar. It may therefore give you some comfort to know that if you are the victim of a property crime, your homeowners insurance can compensate you for your losses. You will need a copy of a police report when you file a claim.
Where Can I Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Near Me?
Buying the cheapest insurance policy is not necessarily the best idea when it comes to insuring one of your most valuable assets. Skimping on coverage may save you money right now, but it can actually cost you more in the long run. This is because cut-rate policies are typically limited by:
- Inadequate coverage: The cheapest home insurance policies typically provide actual cash value instead of replacement-cost coverage for your property. This means that in the wake of a disaster, you may not be able to collect enough compensation to replace lost or damaged items.
- High deductibles: High deductible policies can save you money now, but they may make many claims not worth filing. Also, if you do not have an emergency fund you can dip into, a high deductible policy could cause you financial hardships following a catastrophic event.
- A complicated claims process: If you are not working with a reputable insurance provider, you may face several roadblocks when trying to file a claim. Also, you may be left waiting an unacceptably long time for a claims adjuster to show up and compensation to arrive.
To ensure that you have all the coverage you need when you need it, you must work with an insurance company you can trust. This may mean forgoing the cheapest policy in favor of the policy that offers the best value for your hard-earned money.
Independent agents only work with reputable insurance providers. Your agent can help you find the policy that the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
What Are the Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Camas, Washington?
The best homeowners insurance companies in Washington are the ones that have a consistent history of providing excellent customer service, reliable coverage, timely claims processing, and competitive rates.
Independent insurance agents in Camas have teamed up with some of the area's top insurance providers. You can rest assured that any policies your agent recommends to you are offered by trustworthy insurers.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Camas, WA Help Me Find the Best Coverage?
Independent agents are available to help you with all of your insurance coverage needs. You can turn to a local agent to get answers to your coverage-related questions, trustworthy advice, and help with finding the best and most affordable coverage.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent in Camas to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to compare customized homeowners insurance quotes from some of the area's best insurance providers.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.