The practice of Reiki reduces stress and promotes relaxation. A session enhances energy flow and peace of mind. As a Reiki practitioner, patients come to you seeking healing for all aspects of mind and body. You provide a service, which means you need professional liability protection, but it must be tailored to meet your business needs.
A Trusted Choice® member agent can find a Reiki insurance policy for you. Members agents have signed a Pledge of Performance and are committed to serving the unique needs of each customer. Member agents can compare policies and Reiki insurance quotes to find the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Find an agent in your area to get started.
- The practice is based on the premise that humans have an unseen “life force energy.”
- It consists of two Japanese words: Rei, which means “God’s wisdom” and Ki, which means “life force energy.”
- The ability to practice Reiki isn’t taught, but transferred.
- Reiki is not a religion.
- Mikau Usui founded the practice of Reiki.
Why Do I Need Reiki Insurance?
Each business will face individual risks and a Reiki practitioner is no different. While the services you provide use positive energy, it’s hard to predict how a client might react. Plus, accidents happen. Purchasing a Reiki liability insurance plan can help you in a lawsuit or other legal matter.
If you use a table during treatment and a patient falls off, you could be held liable for injuries.I f a patient faints and hits the corner of a table, you could be held legally liable, even if it’s just for medical expenses. If someone claims a Reiki session caused a sickness, it may take some time to prove in court that it didn’t. Without Reiki practitioner insurance, legal defense fees will come out of your own pocket.
Additionally, you may find that, to keep your state practicing license, you may need to purchase insurance. Many state governments classify the practice of Reiki into the same category as massage therapy and bodywork, which requires minimum liability insurance.
Comprehensive Reiki Insurance Coverage
In addition to liability insurance, you may want to examine your other business insurance needs. You may still need protection against fire and theft, for example. A business owner policy combines property coverage with general liability insurance and may suit your needs as a small to mid-sized practice. Other forms of liability insurance include:
- Product liability coverage
- Sexual abuse coverage
- Personal injury coverage
Depending on your practice, you may also need coverage for animal Reiki, claims that happen while you’re traveling and any other energy work that you conduct.
How Much Does Reiki Insurance Cost?
While premiums will vary based upon your coverage needs, Reiki practitioner insurance is affordable compared to other types of policies. Depending on the policies that you choose and the coverage limits, a plan can cost anywhere from $85 to $145 per year. Even if you work for an employer who has liability coverage, it’s a good idea to purchase your own policy to avoid coverage gaps.
Reducing Risk When Practicing Reiki
Although it’s hard to predict when an accident will occur, implementing an effective risk management plan into your practice can help protect you from lawsuits and other claims. Here are few tips to help you avoid legal issues:
- Always inform your patients that a session involves “laying on of hands” and there is no need to remove clothing.
- Get permission before treating the breasts or genital region. Although you aren’t touching the person, it’s an important step to rule out inappropriate conduct.
- If the patient has consented to a session in writing and tells you about sensitive health issues, you have legal obligations to privacy.
- Make sure you inform your patients of your true medical designation, i.e. don’t let a patient think you’re a doctor when you’re a Reiki practitioner.
- Don’t guarantee healing results.
How to Learn More About Reiki Insurance
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can walk you through the basics of commercial insurance coverage and help you choose policies that work best for your business. Large practices may want to invest in data breach insurance while an individual practitioner might be more focused on professional liability.
Regardless of your needs, a Trusted Choice member agent will compare coverage options from multiple insurance companies to create a comprehensive coverage plan. Find an independent agent right in your area to get started today.