Riding ATVs is a popular pastime in Alabama, and the state has some passionate riders. With more than 20 different areas to ride within the state, you're sure to find a trail that suits your needs. There are strict laws, however, about riding along the beach and in the dunes. One way to stay safe while riding your ATV is to have ATV insurance. This insurance can protect you from many of the most common risks you face as an ATV enthusiast. Before you start looking for quotes, read the information below to learn all about ATV insurance coverage in Alabama.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Alabama ATV Facts
- You cannot operate an ATV on sand dunes or beaches along the Gulf of Mexico.
- There are currently no laws specifically relating to ATVs in the state. However, there are laws pending.
- From 1982 to 2011, there were 279 reported deaths in AL involving ATVs.
- Between 1982 and 2007, there were 80 ATV-related deaths reported involving children 16 and under.
ATV riding is fun but dangerous. It takes mere seconds to lose control of an ATV. They are large, heavy vehicles that can cause major damage. Even the most responsible drivers are still at risk for an accident, which is why ATV insurance is such a wise investment.
What Types of Coverage Are Available in Alabama?
ATV Insurance options are grouped together in order to give you the most coverage as an ATV rider. This includes different coverage types such as the following:
- Liability: If you are involved in an accident with your ATV, you may be liable for damages, medical bills and repairs. Liability coverage helps pay for these costs.
- Collision: This coverage helps repair your ATV after an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive: This insurance is termed "other than collision." If you have a bad run-in with a tree or run into a rock or you fall victim to a fire, wind or theft, this coverage can go to work to get your ATV repaired.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist: Unfortunately, since ATV insurance isn't required, many riders do not have coverage. If you are involved in an ATV accident, you can file a claim to get the repairs or medical bills paid by the responsible party, but if they don't have insurance or reach the limit of their policy, you may be responsible for paying the bills yourself. This coverage can help pay those costs.
- Equipment coverage: If you use equipment such as a GPS system, a trailer or cameras, equipment coverage can cover those items.
What Types of ATVs Can You Cover with ATV Insurance in Alabama?
Insurance companies realize that enthusiasts ride many different types of ATVs on the trails. Below is a list of the most commonly insured ATVs:
- Sport ATVs
- Farm ATVs
- Trikes (3-wheelers)
- Dune buggies
This list is not exhaustive but gives you a general guide to the different types of ATVs that you can cover with ATV insurance in AL. If you own an ATV other than the ones listed above, speak with your insurance agent about coverage.
What About Getting ATV Insurance Quotes in Alabama?
There is no exact price for ATV insurance. Your premiums will depend on a variety of factors. When shopping for quotes on ATV insurance, get familiar with the following in order to get accurate quotes:
- Make/model of ATV
- Age of ATV
- Whether ATV is owned/financed
- Engine size
- Where ATV will be stored
- Where ATV will be ridden
- Whether ATV will be stored on a trailer
- Who will ride ATV
- Driving records of riders
- Any equipment you will have on the ATV
- History of claims
Insurance companies take all of these factors into consideration when giving you quotes in order to give you the best coverage possible for your individual situation.
What Discounts Are Available on ATV Insurance in Alabama?
As with other types of insurance, discounts are available. The following is a list of some of the most common discounts you may qualify for:
- Multi-policy discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Safety course discount
- Claims-free discount
- Lay-up discount (If you only use the ATV during the summer, for example)
- Industry/professional association discount
Each insurance agency has specific discounts available, so be sure to ask about any discounts you may not be aware of or discounts you may qualify for.
Find the ATV Insurance Policy That's Right for You
Getting ATV insurance is an important part of being a responsible ATV rider. When searching for ATV insurance in Alabama, you need to have a professional by your side who can ensure that you get the best coverage at the best price. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you get clarification on coverage, find discounts or even assist you in filing a claim.
Contact a local Trusted Choice agent for more information on quotes and coverage.