Alabama ranks 16th in the country for the number of boat registrations, and it's no surprise, considering the beautiful lakes, rivers and gulf waters available. Many of these vessels are PWCs, or personal watercraft. You can protect your PWC with a PWC insurance policy. Quotes on PWC insurance can vary widely, so it's best to get specific quotes for your particular watercraft. With PWC insurance, you can enjoy Alabama's waterways without worrying about expensive accidents, wreckage cleanup or PWC theft.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
PWC Regulations in Alabama
- AL requires registration of all mechanically propelled vessels, including PWCs.
- No one without a vessel license or under the age of 12 may operate a PWC. Licensed operators between the ages of 12 and 14 must have a licensed adult on board, ready to take over at a moment's notice.
- All PWC riders must wear approved life vests.
- If your PWC does not have a self-circling feature, you must keep the kill switch cord attached to your life vest while operating the vessel.
Types of PWCs Eligible for PWC Insurance
Stand up PWCs: These are the lightweight PWCs, like Jet Skis, which are fast and easy to maneuver. It's a good idea to get medical cost coverage for these, especially if you have young or inexperienced operators in your family.
Sit down PWCs: These are larger, more stable PWCs. They pose less risk of capsizing than stand up types.
Multi-person and four-person PWCs: These PWCs, which include Sea-Doos, can hold up to four people and tow a skier. Liability coverage can be important for this type of PWC because of possible injury to the extra riders and skiers in a crash.
Submersible PWCs: These adventurous PWCs can dive under the water for short distances, which can pose an extra risk of injury and drowning. Liability and medical costs coverage can be important for this kind of vessel.
What Does PWC Insurance Cover?
You can get a wide range of coverage for your PWC or opt for a simple liability policy. The type and amount of coverage you need depend on the type of PWC you own, who uses it and where you like to ride. PWC insurance is not a legal requirement in Alabama, but it can save you and your assets from the expense of an accident or loss. You may need the following types of PWC coverage:
- Watersport liability: If you are at fault for a PWC accident, you may be financially responsible for bodily injury or property damage to others. A legal claim against you can be financially devastating. Watersport liability coverage can help with settlement costs and your legal defense in order to protect your savings and assets.
- Property damage: Your PWC could collide with other boats, rocks, tree trunks or floating debris. Property damage coverage can help with the costs of repairs.
- Medical payments: If you or someone in your family suffers injuries in a PWC accident, this coverage can pay a portion of the treatment costs.
- Uninsured/underinsured boater: If another PWC operator or boater crashes into your PWC and can't afford to pay for the damages and medical costs, this coverage can pay the difference.
- Pollution: This can help with the cost of a fuel spill cleanup.
- Towing: If your PWC becomes inoperable while on the water, you may need a tow back to shore. This service can be surprisingly expensive, but towing and assistance coverage can help.
- Accessory coverage: This can cover your PWC trailer and other equipment that you use in tandem with your vessel.
How Much Does PWC Insurance Cost?
Your quotes on PWC insurance will depend on many factors, including your experience as a boater, your age, who will operate the PWC, what kind of PWC you own and where you will operate the PWC. Most people pay between $300 and $500 per year for their coverage, but it's best to get personalized quotes from a local agent to find out what your PWC policy will cost.
How Do You Get the Best Price on PWC Insurance?
A local agent in our network can help you shop around to find the right PWC insurance at the best possible price. Our agents will work with many different insurance companies to find the best policies for you and your PWC.
Contact an agent right here in Alabama for the PWC coverage and quotes you need.