Indiana, sometimes called “The State of Rivers,” has a variety of waterways for recreational activities. Many Indiana residents and tourists enjoy personal watercrafts (PWCs) like Jet Skis and Wave Runners when they are out on the water. A PWC is fun to use but can be dangerous when out on the open waters due to their high speeds and maneuverability.
Protect yourself and your personal watercraft with Indiana PWC insurance. An independent insurance agent in our network can help you get the best coverage for your Jet Ski or Wave Runner, as these professionals have access to several insurance companies, unlike captive agents who only work for one insurer. Phone an independent agent today to compare Indiana PWC insurance quotes so you can be safe on the water.
- Recently, there were 255 boating accidents on Indiana waters, resulting in 8 deaths
- PWC fatalities in the U.S. account for 7% of all boating fatalities
- PWC injuries account for 30% of all boating injuries
What Are The 3 Major Causes of PWC Accidents?
The 3 major causes of PWC accidents include:
- PWC operator error
- Lack of experience or being inattentive
- Excessive speed
Is PWC Insurance Legally Required In Indiana?
You aren’t legally required to carry PWC insurance, but you must have a valid driver’s license to operate your personal watercraft. PWC drivers must be at least 15 years of age. If you are at least 15 years of age, but don’t have a valid drivers license, you must have completed an approved safety course and have a valid I.D. issued by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles on board. Children under 15 years of age cannot legally operate any boat or PWC greater than 10 horsepower.
What Is Covered Under PWC Insurance?
Indiana PWC insurance will cover personal watercraft, including a stand up PWCs, a four person PWC and a submersible PWC for brand names such as Jet Ski, Wave Runner, and Sea Doo. Insurance coverage varies from company to company, and you may be able to purchase certain types of coverage for your Jet Ski separately. Standard PWC insurance packages can include:
- Property Damage: This will protect your PWC from damage or damage resulting from a collision, fire or theft. Depending on your insurer, this coverage may not apply in storage or while transporting your PWC.
- Medical Payments: This option provides coverage for medical expenses if you or any passengers are injured.
- Uninsured /Underinsured Protection: This will protect you from any damage or injuries you incur from another person who does not have insurance or inadequate insurance coverage.
- Pollution Coverage: This will protect you if your PWC pollutes the waterway with oil or gas leakage.
- Towing Assistance: This covers you for towing expenses if you breakdown while on the open water.
- Removal of Wreckage: This covers you if your PWC is seriously damaged or sinks as a result of an accident.
- Liability: This will protect you for damage or accidents you cause to someone else’s property, watercraft or person (This is the most important and minimal type of coverage you should carry, as a lawsuit can be financially devastating).
- Accessories: This covers you for your trailer to tow the PWC, or other accessories such as a wake board, inner tube or skis.
Where Can I Find PWC Insurance in Indiana?
The best way to buy Indiana PWC insurance is to touch base with an independent insurance agent in our network, right in your neighborhood. An independent agent can help you understand your insurance needs, then access multiple insurers to get various Indiana PWC insurance quotes for you to compare. With several quality insurance options to choose from, you should be able to find an affordable PWC insurance policy that meets your needs.
Talk with an agent today so you can have a carefree day out on the water the next time you visit your favorite lake or river.