Lenexa is home to nearly 60,000 people. Whether you have recently settled here or are a lifelong resident of this vibrant city in Kansas, if you have purchased a house, you can benefit from having a good homeowners insurance policy.
When you are shopping for suitable coverage for your Lenexa home, a local independent agent can help. These agents can work with several of the area’s top insurance companies to find you the best and most affordable policy. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to learn more.
What Is Homeowners Insurance, and Is It Required in Lenexa?
Homeowners insurance is a policy that is designed to protect your finances and the investment you have made in your house and personal property.
If you are still paying on your mortgage or have taken out a home equity loan, your lender is likely to require you to carry homeowners coverage for the duration of your loan. Otherwise, homeowners insurance is optional but highly recommended.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Lenexa, KS?
The average homeowners insurance rate in Kansas is much higher than the national average. This is due in no small part to the high risk of tornado and wildfire activity in this state.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Kansas average yearly premium: $1,584
Of course, an average rate can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Home insurance companies will base their rate on several factors such as:
- The year your house was built, its size in square feet, and the materials used in its construction
- The crime, weather, and wildfire risks where your house is located
- Your home’s distance from the nearest fire hydrant or fire station
- Your insurance claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
Every insurance company has its own way of calculating rates. Reviewing various customized homeowners insurance quotes lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. This has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
If you bundle your homeowners insurance with another policy like car insurance or motorcycle insurance, you may be able to earn valuable rate reductions on all of your bundled policies. Learn more about this and other home insurance discounts by talking to an independent insurance agent.
Where Can I Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Near Me?
Nobody wants to spend more on home insurance than they have to, so it pays to shop around. However, the cheapest policy isn’t necessarily the most cost-effective one.
If you skimp on your coverage to save a few dollars a month now, you may find yourself spending a lot more in the long run. This is because of:
- High deductibles: The cheapest policies often come with extremely high deductibles. Unless you have significant savings you can draw from, meeting this deductible can be painful if you need to file a claim.
- Limited coverage: You can save a lot of money by purchasing actual cash value coverage instead of replacement cost coverage for your property. However, if a lot of your personal property is destroyed in a disaster, its depreciated value may not be sufficient to enable you to replace it.
- Poor customer service: Often, companies that offer cut-rate policies do not invest a lot in their employees. This means you can be left on hold for a long time if you need to speak to someone, and claims processing can come with many hurdles and delays.
Independent agents help you avoid these pitfalls because they only work with high-quality insurance companies when they are shopping around to find you the policy that offers the best value for your hard-earned money.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Lenexa, KS?
Homeowners insurance protects you from significant financial losses when disaster strikes. It does this by covering against:
- Property loss or damage
- Liability lawsuits
Each facet of your homeowners coverage is explained in further detail below.
Coverage for Your Home and Property
Your home insurance covers you against damage caused by most of the risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in eastern Kansas. Your policy’s dwelling coverage can pay to repair damage to the structure of your home, and your contents coverage can cover the cost of replacing damaged personal property.
Covered perils that may impact property owners in Lenexa include:
- Property crimes: This includes crimes like burglary, vandalism, and arson.
- Fires: This includes damage caused by accidental fires, wildfires, explosions, smoke, and firefighting efforts.
- Falling objects: This includes damage caused by hazards like hailstones and fallen trees and branches.
- Water damage: This includes water damage caused by problems like leaky roofs, damaged windows, and frozen pipes. However, it does not include damage caused by floods.
- Severe weather events: This includes damage caused by hazards like thunderstorms, windstorms, derechos, tornadoes, and winter storms
You will want to be sure that your dwelling and contents coverage limits are high enough to enable you to fully rebuild your house and replace all of your personal property if a catastrophic event like a tornado destroys your home.
Coverage against Displacement
Lenexa has a very high risk for tornado activity and a moderate risk for wildfires. Catastrophes like fires and tornadoes can do more than destroy your property. They can also render your house uninhabitable until repairs are made. If this happens, loss of use insurance can help.
If you are forced to seek alternate accommodations due to damage caused by a covered event, loss of use insurance (which is included in every homeowners insurance policy) can cover many of your extra living expenses, including:
- A hotel, temporary rental home, or other reasonable accommodations
- Meals, if your accommodations do not include a kitchen
- Moving costs and storage fees
- Mileage reimbursement if you must drive further to get to work
- Pet boarding costs, if necessary
Loss of use coverage can continue to provide compensation until your house has been repaired and is safe to move back into or until you have purchased or built a replacement home.
Coverage against Liability Lawsuits
Anybody can find themselves on the wrong end of a liability lawsuit. All it takes is just one mistake, accident, or error in judgment, and you could cause someone else to experience serious harm.
Fortunately, in addition to covering your house and property, your homeowners insurance provides you with a significant amount of personal liability protection.
Homeowners liability insurance can cover expenses like court costs, legal fees, mediation costs, settlements, and judgments if you or someone in your household unintentionally cause someone else to suffer significant injuries, property damage, financial loss, or other harm.
Home insurance policies typically provide liability protection of between $250,000 and $500,000. If you want even more coverage than your home insurance offers, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Do Homeowners in Lenexa, KS Need Flood Insurance?
Homeowners insurance covers a lot of hazards, but it does not cover damage caused by floods. Considering that FEMA estimates that one inch of rainwater in your home can generate as much as $25,000 in property damage, this lack of coverage can leave some homeowners feeling vulnerable.
The good news is that floods do not pose a significant risk in the Lenexa area. Only about 1,000 homes in this city have at least a 26% chance of sustaining flood damage over the next 30 years. If your house is among those at risk, you may want to think about purchasing flood insurance.
A local independent agent can help you review flood maps to determine your property’s risk. Then, if needed, your agent can help you secure affordable coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program administered by FEMA.
Is There a High Risk of Burglary in Lenexa, KS?
The burglary rate in Kansas is higher than the national rate. However, in Lenexa, the rate is lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report around 100 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 residents in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 residents in Kansas: 4.31
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 residents in Lenexa: 1.23
If you discover your home has been burglarized, the first thing you should do is ensure that you and your family are safe and then call the authorities.
It can be very stressful to be the victim of a property crime, but you may gain some comfort in knowing that your home insurance can reimburse you for your lost property as well as any damage the burglar caused to your house.
You will need to have a copy of the police report when you file your claim. If you purchased your coverage through an independent agent, your agent can assist you throughout the claims process.
What Are the Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Lenexa, Kansas?
The most highly rated insurance companies are the ones that have consistently proven themselves in terms of reliable coverage, responsive customer service, rapid claims processing, and competitive rates.
Independent agents in Lenexa have teamed up with some of the best homeowners insurance companies in Kansas, so they can help their clients find suitable yet affordable coverage.
How Can a Local Independent Agent Help Find the Best Homeowners Insurance in Lenexa, KS?
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best and most affordable homeowners insurance policy. These agents can answer your insurance-related questions and save you time and money by doing the comparison shopping legwork for you.
If you are ready to get help finding the best and most affordable homeowners insurance policy in Lenexa, arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you.