Even the most careful drivers can sometimes get into accidents. That's why vehicle owners in Malden are required to have car insurance. From fender-benders on Centre Street to multi-car collisions on Frank P. Bennett Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can save you from large financial losses.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent in Malden. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers so you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a competitive price.
Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Malden, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is slightly higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best rate can potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, these average rates can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several factors. When calculating your rate, insurance companies will take into account such things as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Your claims history and credit score
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The amount of your deductible
Contact an independent agent in Malden to learn more about these and other potential discounts and to easily review customized quotes from a variety of highly rated insurers.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts?
Every state has its own minimum coverage requirements when it comes to auto insurance. In Massachusetts, all car insurance policies must include liability insurance, uninsured motorist insurance and personal injury protection insurance (PIP).
Liability insurance is designed to cover other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. However, because Massachusetts is a no-fault state, the injured person’s own policy’s personal injury protection insurance will offer the first line of coverage for medical bills. Uninsured motorist insurance covers your losses if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Massachusetts requires your car insurance to include, at a bare minimum:
- bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
A lot of Malden drivers have a lot to lose. That's why many opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their policy will allow.
Your local insurance agent can help you find the liability and personal injury protection coverage you want at price you can afford.
What Else Can Malden Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory coverage, your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Malden auto insurance policy. This optional coverage includes:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event like a fallen tree or vandalism. This coverage is also typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This covers the gap between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be necessary for the first year or so of ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
What Are the Penalties for Driving without Insurance in Malden?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal, and when it comes to enforcement, this state isn’t playing around. Penalties for driving an uninsured vehicle can include:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Jail time for up to one year
- The suspension of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
These tough penalties are the main reason that this state has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you or your passengers for resultant damage and necessary medical treatment that go above what your PIP insurance covers. However, this money can often be difficult to collect.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can you receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
Does Malden Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in Malden, as well as the state of Massachusetts, is lower than the national rate. Even still, residents of this city report about 75 vehicle thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Malden auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.20
Be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a flood, garage fire, or hailstorm.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Malden car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Malden Help You?
Ask a local independent insurance agent for assistance when you are looking for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in Malden to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.